• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Fusee setup on cylinder escapement?

jplotkin

NAWCC Member
May 8, 2016
Philadelphia, PA
Country
Hi all,

Quick question about setting up a fusee on a nice cylinder escapement (ruby is part of the balance pivot) -- see photos.

I am used to setting up fusee on a lever -- where I can setup the entire fusee (including pre-tension from the setup ratchet) before inserting the balance wheel. The lever stops the wheel train from advancing, allowing me to add whatever tension I want before inserting balance.

But how should I setup the fusee on this cylinder escapement? The problem is that there is no lever, and I believe the wheel train will just run as soon as I put tension on the fusee. So what's the best approach? (I hope I don't need to temporarily remove the 3rd wheel -- that sounds tricky. ANything easier?)

Thank you

movement.jpeg

balance staff.jpeg
still from video.jpg

Reactions: Jerry Treiman

jplotkin

NAWCC Member
May 8, 2016
Philadelphia, PA
Country
Can you see where to insert a toothpick to stall the train?
Thanks.

Well, yeah -- I could just stop it up with some rodico from the backside, on the 3rd wheel (see photo).

I guess I only need to do this stoppage briefly, to add a amount of pre-tension and then wind the fusee partly. And then I can install the balance wheel and wind the rest of the fusee. Is that an OK technique?

third wheel access.jpeg

Chris Radek

NAWCC Member
Apr 13, 2014
Lincoln, NE, USA
timeguy.com
Country
I don't understand what problem you are having, can you explain further? Why can't you just install the balance?

Don't try to block the train with rodico, you'll just make a sticky mess.

(Nice watch!)

jplotkin

NAWCC Member
May 8, 2016
Philadelphia, PA
Country
I don't understand what problem you are having, can you explain further? Why can't you just install the balance?

Don't try to block the train with rodico, you'll just make a sticky mess.

(Nice watch!)
I guess I’ve just never messed with fusee setup after installing balance — for fear of knocking it or something. Or dangling chain somehow. Would you install balance and then setup fusee after?

Chris Radek

NAWCC Member
Apr 13, 2014
Lincoln, NE, USA
timeguy.com
Country
By setting up the fusee do you mean just putting some initial wind on the barrel arbor? You can do that while the watch is in its "run down" state, with the chain all on the barrel. In that state, winding the barrel arbor won't cause the train to turn.

But, if by setting up the fusee you mean using a fusee adjusting rod and sliding weights to determine what setting of the barrel arbor causes the first and last turn (ideally each turn) on the fusee to have the same force, as is done in a first class service job, I think that's easiest to do by removing the 3rd wheel. The center wheel will just run both ways freely when you turn the fusee, and not bother your measurements at all.

jplotkin

NAWCC Member
May 8, 2016
Philadelphia, PA
Country
I mean the former — just putting some pretension in barrel using setup arbor. I guess you’re right I can do that without balance in (that won’t drive train?) and then install the balance and finally wind fusee for first time?

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
Interesting mechanism to prevent over-banking on this cylinder movement: dots on the balance wheel, and a stop on the cock.
To have a "dot" on the balance to prevent overbanking is quite common on cylinder escapements, but I have not seen one with two "dots"

Reactions: jplotkin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ken64
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-