Fusee questions

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by haneyk, Aug 4, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. haneyk

haneyk Registered User

Apr 15, 2007
    Well, I finally got my first 18th century fusee! It is a Gould watch, circa 1784. Below are some pics, but I have a few questions for you experts in this type of watch:

1. The bow obviously is incorrect. The correct ones I've seen on this type of watch look like the Greek letter Omega. Is there anywhere I could get one of these? Barring that, just a thick round silver one would look better.

2. When you set the time, can you turn the hands counterclockwise or only clockwise, and can you safely set it when the watch is running?

3. I've never seen a blued top of the fusee. All of the ones I've seen are silver and graduated. Could this indicate that this has been replaced?

4. The watch gains 10-12 minutes per hour. It looks like it is in perfect shape and ticks well. Is this amount of error correctable?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

Attached Files:

2. Don Dahlberg

Don Dahlberg Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Has it been serviced? As a rule, anything that retards the motion of the balance increases the rate. So if the hairspring is touching something or if there is a piece of fur in the hairspring, then it will run fast. If the balance staff is bent or if the oil is thick, it will run fast. These were not great timekeepers, but they were much better than 10 minutes per hour.

You should not be running a watch that has not been serviced in the last 5 years.

Don

3. EmmaR

EmmaR Registered User

hi there.. really nice watch! I just wanted to say I would try to talk my customers out of trying to rate a watch like that. there could be 10 things wrong with it, ie. replaced mainspring, for example that will make it really hard to get any pattern to the way it keeps time.
    I'd say it runs.. you gotta be pretty happy with that.
    having said that, anythingis fixable, with a big enough budget and an expert!

good find !
    *EMMA*

4. RON in PA

RON in PA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 18, 2005
    Retired Neuroscientist
    S.E. PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice watch, but from my point of view any verge fusee is a nice watch. Berthould writing in the 1760s said that a good quality watch (he was talking about verge fusees) should be accurate to about one minute a day. Your watch probably needs a cleaning and lube and it would not suprise me if the balance spring needed some work. Follow Don's advice.

Based on the two-footed balance cock I think that your watch movement has a Continental origin, probably Dutch. Very likely it was imported into England where it was cased. As far as the blue Tompion regulator, maybe a fashion statement?

Does the case have any hallmarks? Close-ups would be nice.

5. haneyk

haneyk Registered User

Apr 15, 2007
    The watch was supposedly recently serviced. Below is a pic of the London hallmarks, which dates it to 1784. So does anyone kow a sourc for replacement bows?

Attached Files:

6. Ansomnia

Ansomnia Registered User

Sep 11, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think sellers are sometimes quite liberal about what they mean by "recently serviced".

As for the bow, it is a simple item and I suspect a good jeweler who has the silver material can knock one off for you in well under 30 minutes.

Michael