Help Fusee movement keeps stalling out on stop arm

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Inciter, Nov 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Inciter

Inciter New Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have a simple fusee movement clock that stalls out on the stop arm. The chain will wrap 3 times around the cylinder then get stalled out by the stop arm. When the stop arm reaches its upper limit it begins to rub against the coiled up chain, as a result the clock stalls out. I am a novice at clock repair, any help is appreciated.

Would it help to file the nose of the stop arm down to allow it to clear the coiled up chain.
    There is a bit of play around the pivot point of the stop arm.
    Thanks again, Cheers.

AD8E1FD0-5D84-4824-8526-4EB804F35024.jpeg FCD8E270-5F87-418C-B50C-6E91CC22BEBB.jpeg

2. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you let down the power on the mainspring is there a lot of play in the arbors? You may need to bush the arbors in the Barrell and the plates of the fusee come if there is a lot of wobble. The barrell and the fusee come must be aligned.

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wonder if the chain is just a bit too long for the fusee? How much chain is left at the end of a week?

4. John MacArthur

John MacArthur Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 13, 2007
    #4 John MacArthur, Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    I just looked at it and realized that the chain is loose over the stop arm at the TOP of the wind (small end of the fusee). Something is quite wrong here, and you shouldn't release the spring in that configuration, if it's tight at all. The way you set these up is unwind the wraps of chain from the fusee and wrap them around the drum, trying to follow the old tracks. Then, with the fusee completely UNwound, you set up the barrel maybe 3/4 turn by the fixed pawl and ratchet on the front plate. Then wind the fusee up and see that the chain doesn't jump out of the groove during the first winding. After that, it will follow in its natural position. These can be a handful, and dangerous if you let something go. If you're not sure of this, get some experienced help.
    Johnny

5. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think Johnny is correct. The way your configuration is pictured, with almost all of the chain on the fusee, the spring should be fully wound. However, the chain appears to have no tension. In the current position, the stop arm is supposed to prevent further winding and that seems to happen here. If the chain is really without tension, then the spring should be relaxed. If this is the case you need to take the chain off the fusee and coil it on the barrel as described by Johnny. Then add one turn of pre-tension before you wind the clock. Pre-tension is applied directly to the spring by turning the arbor that carries the click wheel. The clock is then wound using the square on the fusee. I hope this helps. Be careful, the spring is a beast.

Uhralt

6. Inciter

Inciter New Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #6 Inciter, Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2019
    Thanks for the help, the pictures are just to show the area of issue. The main spring is under zero tension right now. I was doing things a bit backwards I guess. The arbors have very little movement, and align very nicely. I’ll see how it goes doing this the proper way as recommended. Thanks a bunch.

7. Inciter

Inciter New Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I set the clock up as recommended and it was running for two days, but the stop arm couldn’t clear the chain wrapped around the drum. Is the arm suppose to ride the chain as it wraps around the drum? The bushings are all solid with very little play and the arbors aren’t warped. Any further suggestions?

C9AD5EA1-2A94-443C-B1DE-DA700289B10C.jpeg EF0421CB-BA5D-4E83-BB3F-5F51C604171F.jpeg 633C1768-B6FC-4E79-96BF-2F99C0294FBD.jpeg

8. daveR

daveR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 10, 2008
    hospital storeman
    melbourne, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Once the clock has run for a couple of days , the chain should be completely clear of the stop, which has no further use until the clock is wound again. if the tip of the stop is fouling the chain and it is the right (original) onehave a look and see if it has been bent or if where it mounts on the plate allows it to be moved a little away from the barrel. It would only need to be a tiny amoun, well within the size of the hook on the fusee which catches it when fully wound.
    David

9. Inciter

Inciter New Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    The stop arm has a definite bend. There is no way to adjust the reach of the arm, except for filing it or bending it a bit out to to help it clear the chain. I have released the tension on the main spring to unstuck the arm.

04952475-A443-45FE-A9A9-9F6849EB9A03.jpeg 89A87D13-5CB9-4E5C-A47C-AD3B5D3BDA2B.jpeg

10. daveR

daveR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 10, 2008
    hospital storeman
    melbourne, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I dont think it is meant to have that much of a bend.. You will probably have to dissasemble the movement and take out the stop to straighten it a little. it may then also engage more securely witht the catch at the top of the fusee. at the moment it looks as if it is only engaging almost on the very tip. Then it should be away from the barrell. The chain should only be on one side ( the straight side) of the arm so as the clock runs down it moves off the arm.
    These two are fromm a couple of my clocks, a little older maybe than yours but still as you can see the arms are straight as a die.
    David

20191113_225553.jpg 20191113_225536.jpg

11. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The chain doesn't seem to ride correctly on the barrel. If I see it right, the chain rides on itself rather then on the barrel. Correct this first before you bend anything.

Uhralt