Fusee mainsprings

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Charlie, Oct 1, 2002.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Charlie

Charlie Guest

Eric, Those long strong springs from time clocks, large fusee driven clocks, and Victrolas, as has been stated, must be handled carefully. If a spring is too long, too strong or too wide for an Ollie Baker type winder I also go to my bench lathe which has a back gear. The big lathe,in conjunction with several large strong retainer sleeves that I've made through the years, affords excelent control. If you are in the neighborhood bring that spring along for a demonstration.

------------------
    Charlie, #107896

2. xylo

xylo Registered User

Jan 6, 2002
    lexmd@earthlink.net says:

" Eric, the solution is to take the mainspring job to someone equipped to handle them or do like many have done: forget about removing, cleaning and proper lubrication and instead, just squirt a little light oil on the coils and snap the cover back in place! (not recommended if you have a conscience)"

Both Elgin and Waltham in their watchmakers handbooks say it's better to do it that way than to risk getting a kink in the mainspring.

I would think it would be equally appropriate for these large strong clock mainsprings as well.

Better to give a shot of oil than to risk kinking it or breaking it and your fingers.