Fusee mainspring preload

fixoclox

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2007
East Rockaway ,NY
fixoclox.net
Country
Hello Everyone,

I am rebuilding a couple of Fusee movements.
I am familiar with the Fusee pendulum type preload. On a balance escapement what is the preferred preload. It cannot be the same as the movement is running really fast 10 minutes a day and the regulator is set to slow.

41507487-59A3-4451-B083-5D02E597E538.jpeg

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
i would suspect balance issues before power issues... all the pre-load does is make sure the mainspring still has enough tension to keep the chain or cord in place when it comes to the end of its run... typically a half to one full turn.

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi fixoclox,
...the movement is running really fast 10 minutes a day and the regulator is set to slow.
What sort of amplitude are you seeing on the balance wheel, and is the escapement in beat?

Regards,

Graham

fixoclox

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2007
East Rockaway ,NY
fixoclox.net
Country
i would suspect balance issues before power issues... all the pre-load does is make sure the mainspring still has enough tension to keep the chain or cord in place when it comes to the end of its run... typically a half to one full turn.
Yes, I understand, with that much preload on a balance wheel Fusee it runs to fast and cannot be slowed down any further. I preloaded it 3 teeth on the preload ratchet. Now with a full 30 turn wind she is keeping time and the regulator is closer to the middle. Thanks

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi fixoclox,
Amplitude is about 180
How are you defining the 180º, the entire balance excursion or just from the centre to one side? It's low if you mean the latter, (which is the usual way it's defined with balance wheels), and very low if you mean the former.

Love the deer by the way.

Regards,

Graham

Reactions: Bernhard J.

fixoclox

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2007
East Rockaway ,NY
fixoclox.net
Country
Hi fixoclox,

How are you defining the 180º, the entire balance excursion or just from the centre to one side? It's low if you mean the latter, (which is the usual way it's defined with balance wheels), and very low if you mean the former.

Love the deer by the way.

Regards,

Graham
Hi Graham, the whole wheels rotation. I have 50 years working on Chelsea. Ram all I can say is the proof is in the pudding. With a very low preload on a balance wheel fusee the clock is now keeping time and is not adjusted fully to the slow side of the regulator. Pictured is a Sunday afternoon visitor. I love it here

8DB3F2A7-4902-4AA1-870C-9B682C65F150.jpeg

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi fixoclox,

Thanks for clarifying this. A balance amplitude of only 90º, if I understand you correctly, is extremely low, but if the clock is working satisfactorily, fine. At least the balance in a clock doesn't have to cope with all the movement and disturbance that a watch goes through.

We get deer here, but fortunately the bears left several hundred years ago!

Regards,

Graham

Reactions: Bernhard J.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jimik
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-