fusee ... hall of shame?

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by bruce linde, Mar 29, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    just opened up that $10 craigslist fusee with the missing pendulum and found a very special spring click (if you can call it that) held in by a screw that looks like it might be less-than-snug based on what looks like yellow plumber's tape wrapped around the threads... but the movement is running :cool:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. BLKBEARD

BLKBEARD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2016
    HVAC, MECHANIC
    CT
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Maybe the old one broke and he wanted something Beefier?

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What's that inside the cap cut-out?

4. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    sorry… The frayed end of the steel cable... two strands

5. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    Some how, I don't think the bolt end for the arbor is original
    either.
    Tinker Dwight

6. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    it certainly heavy duty… But without a click it makes it tricky to preload the spring

7. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Maybe he grew up fixing old Knucklehead Harley Davidson motorcycles. We used to apply a similar fix to a bolt in the primary case that liked to work itself loose from the vibration. ;)

8. hemioutlaw

hemioutlaw Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2008
    North.Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sheer brilliance!

Necessity has alway's been the mother of invention....Ha Ha Ha!

9. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    the movement has been serviced and the clock is running great:

- left the frankenstein bolt (rather than expected click) on the spring barrel... i can't really say it wasn't broken so i didn't fix it, but whoever did what they did to make it work like that did a reasonable job with whatever/however the heck they did

- made a dial door latch (the arm that swings down and holds the dial door closed)

- carefully glued the dial bezel back together... only to find that the wood had dried out and shrunk and the dial would no longer fit... so i restored the crack! :cool:

- discovered a worn back pivot on T2 (yes? the one driven by the fusee gear?) that had a 'T' shape... a very narrow sliver at the end was 1.61mm, everything else was 1.31mm. i was going to re-pivot but chickened out and took down the T edge so that it was all 1.31mm, smoothed and burnished the pivot and then re-bushed the pivot hole (note: bangster told me bushing would quickly become second nature after the first few, and dang if he wasn't absolutely spot on!)... spins happy

- cleaned the mainspring and replaced the steel cable, replacement pendulum from timesavers

- replaced the worn tension/banana spring (made from old mainspring) under the minute hand piece with one that worked

- left the original/worn dial instead of the replacement that was on top of it... kind of like it in contrast with all of my other clocks

can't really call it a restoration, but still may be the best (and funnest) ten bucks i ever spent. :cool:

this one gets filed under:

CONTINUING CLOCK EDUCATION
    BEATER FUSEE: MISC. REPAIRS, PRACTICE & REVIEW
    100 POINTS / $10

[​IMG]

10. dAz57

dAz57 Registered User

Dec 7, 2011
    watchmaker
    sydney Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You going to repaint the dial?, Some of these dials didn't seem to use a suitable primer on the zinc or tin dial plate and the paint will just flake off with very little effort over time.

11. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

call me whacky, but i LIKE the dial on this one. it shows what original dials more typically look like and makes me (and my friends) appreciate how well my other clocks have survived the years.

this dial was under a perfectly clean replacement dial in fine shape... but if i put on the replacement dial it would look just like one i already have that is the same size and vintage, has already had the dial re-painted, and has a better (chain-driven) movement in better condition. https://goo.gl/2AGnHg

i have another fusee, as well... a lovely 1840s english with eight sided dial, wings and brass inlays. https://goo.gl/5uBjDE

anyway, the newest one (aka 'the beater') is hanging near the breakfast table, so i pass by it on my way to feed... and get to see the crackling and age (and hands) up close.

i can of course keep the replacement dial for when the rest of the paint flakes off of this one, but may sell it to recoup the $50 i've put in ($10 for the clock, $40 for the pendulum).... as if the hours of fun i had dealing with its issues weren't payback enough!

i know it horrifies the purists, but it was one step away from landfill and will now run the rest of my natural days.

12. dAz57

dAz57 Registered User

Dec 7, 2011
    watchmaker
    sydney Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No I would not replace the dial but repaint it so it maintains the same style and look.

This is one I did a couple of years back for a customer, the dial was losing paint every time someone touched it, wound it etc., So I traced a template first, it took 30 seconds to remove the paint with a flat scraper it was that bad, if you look carefully you can see the ghost traces of the of lettering etched into the dial plate, then I primed and spray painted the dial in an vintage white using automotive lacquer, then using drafting pens, rulers and compasses redrew the lettering. No clear lacquer was used or needed over the ink.

Take your time and you can do a pretty good restoration of this dial.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    wow… seriously impressive work. I'm not sure I have a steady enough hand… I am a notoriously bad painter!

The one thing that might make me consider taking on that project is if I could make a base that's all crackled and yellow like the one that's flaking off… And then paint back on the numbers. I'd want it to look old.

how much did you charge the customer, by the way? :) Maybe you could private message me the answer.

14. dAz57

dAz57 Registered User

Dec 7, 2011
    watchmaker
    sydney Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #14 dAz57, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    I think it took me 4-5 hours to do over a couple of days, the easy parts is the straight lines and circles, a compass to draw the minute ring and the tops and bottoms of the Roman numerals, a pin in the centre and straight edge does all the minute marks, the Roman numerals are actually slightly tapered towards the centre with a vanishing point a dial span over or so, the numerals are done in outline first and left to dry fully, then filled in with a thicker pen.

The hard part for me anyway was the lettering of the names, if I didn't have to do that I would have had the dial done in a couple of hours.

I think there are ways to do cracked finishes, when I do an old dial, I clean the old ink and paint off with brasso, if the original paint is cracked or crazed the brasso doesn't affect this but just leaves​ a clean smooth surface, this way I can retain the old look, it you can do a cracked distressed finish, then do a slight cut back with very fine wet and dry should leave a satin finish and get rid of that new gloss look, then ink the dial in.

15. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think my skills are more mechanical then artistic, at least when it comes to something like this. In the meantime, I'm experimenting with seeing if I can make the new replacement dial that came with it look older. … I.e., a little bit of time in an oven, leaving it outside, etc. the trick is to notice a change before you notice too much change! :) It didn't cost me anything so what the heck?

16. bangster

bangster Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not too shabby! :clap:

17. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    You can buy spray paint in cans that dries with a crackle finish - they sell them in artists' supply shops and some hardware stores.

JTD

18. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    ok ok, you all win! i took the replacement dial and used a hair dryer on it (on high).... turned that bright white new look into a slightly yellowed (and older) look. i then put the dial on one of those expanding rubber bits that holds sanding wheels in a dremel and used the dremel to spin the dial around while lightly touching the number track with a 220 sanding pad... it put subtle circular scratches in the dial and numbers, as if the hands had been rubbing for a long time. between that and the natural distortions in the original dial glass, i'm pretty happy with the overall look.

the one thing i might do is try to take down the dial mount edges ever so slightly so the movement and hour and minute pipes come forward 1/8", just to make sure the back of the hour hand has a wee bit more clearance with the replacement dial sitting on top of the original. i was thinking it would be great to do this with some kind of drill bit that has a hole in the middle (almost like a combination cutting tool/larger punch), but i don't have one. do they make such a beast?

also... where does one get those little bitty hold-the-hour-hand-to-the-old-style hour cam/assembly screws? were they typically the same size? maybe glasses frame screws?

[​IMG]

19. dAz57

dAz57 Registered User

Dec 7, 2011
    watchmaker
    sydney Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    English made clock, probably BA threads, that size be a 9 or 10BA with a pan or domed head

20. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #20 bruce linde, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    I've seen multiple examples lately of little bitty flat head w 1/16" (or so) flat sides screws securing hour hands (fusee and tall case), and securing horizontally sliding washers that hold together tall case great wheel assemblies.... not domed, not pan heads.... kind of like the screws that hold ST regulator movements together, but silver in color and way smaller.

ok, so I'd like to lay in a small assorted supply of very small thread cheesehead screws... any suggestions as to where to get these?

21. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    never mind... i found an inexpensive assortment at cousinsuk.com....

thx

22. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have seen this dial in restored condition with and without London County Council on it, I'm confused.

23. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #23 bruce linde, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017

i have two similar fusees... the first acquisition (a while ago, discussed in another thread) has london county council on the dial and LCC stamped on the movement. that was my first one, and i had the dial re-painted by ben beede in sacramento.

this thread was/is about a recent purchase ($10) of a trashed fusee... with the original dial under a generic (more) modern replacement dial... which is the one i wanted to make look less white and brand new... hence the blow dryer and dremel/220 treatments. the newest fusee has no markings on it but provided much practice in problem solving and repair... and fun!