fusee clocks

Bill Buss

Oct 5, 2000
double fusee clock-----how is the best way to wind the chain when runs it down to end

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I'm not sure I understand your question, Bill. Easy answer is with a key.

Bill Buss

Oct 5, 2000
HAROLD...THANKS FOR REPLY,,,,,WHEN i have the chain wound up---I give the main spring several winds and it runs good----the problem is when it runs down----how do I wind it up again----I can wind the spring ok, but cannot reverse the chain Bill Buss

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
The fusee must surely have its own winding square? When you wind using this square, most of the chain ends up on the fusee, then it's on the barrel when it's unwound.

Bill Buss

Oct 5, 2000
the fusee has its own square and internal click and the barrel square with inside of mainspring with chain wound up and click, runs all down, chain is now on the fusee......how to reverse the chain

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Since the chain is all on the fusee, (in what should be the fully wound condition), you need to get the mainspring wound now, not reverse the chain, so just wind it with its setup square. Once its run down again normally, you can check how much setup is left on the barrel; about 3/4 turn should be about right, to ensure that the chain is under enough tension to keep it snug on the barrel and avoid pulling off a hook in this state. After this, it should work in the correct sequence. You should also check that the fusee stop-work is acting properly at fully wound, to prevent chain breakage.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Probably would be a good time to post some pictures of what you have. When you wind the fusee chain onto the fusee cone, you are winding the mainspring. When you let down the mainspring, you no longer have any power to the fusee cone. It sounds like you need to take the clock apart to rewind the chain onto the barrel. You should start out with the chain on the barrel after servicing the movement.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
I'm beginning to wonder whether he has the chain wound to the fusee backwards that it should "S" from one to the other or vice versa.

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Could be, but then wouldn't the hook at the barrel end be the wrong way round? I think the simplest fix would be to wind the mainspring using the barrel setup square, then the fusee and the barrel will be in the correct relationship. No need to take the chain off again.

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Well, it is a reversed fusee, and the chain is on correctly, as shown by the barrel setup click. I'd let the clock run now, if it will, until the chain is all on the barrel. Then you can let the mainspring down with a suitable tool, give the barrel square 3/4 turn to just set it up, then wind up the fusee square in the normal way.

If it doesn't run all the way down, so that all the chain is on the barrel, just give the barrel square another turn, and repeat until the clock has all the chain on the barrel.

Have you dismantled this clock to clean it, or did you have this problem when you got it?

Regards,

Graham

Bill Buss

Oct 5, 2000
I would appreciate an explanation about how the stop work--works, and also the pillar at the fusee end that has an arm that moves, appears to be like a gathering shape and the small end of the fuse shaped on a taper. The question before--yes, I have it had all apart, cleaned and oiled. It was not in running condition when I got it. Thanks so much for your help....I am not good at explaining. Bill Buss

dAz57

Dec 7, 2011
sydney Australia
Country
Region
the fuzee stop iron arm is simply lifted by the chain until it catches the hook on the fuzee end, it prevents the chain being wound off the end of the fuzee if it was allowed to be turned any further during winding, also prevents the chain being pulled off the barrel.

Bill Buss

Oct 5, 2000
thanks for the explanation. To all of you that have so kindly responded to the 'FUSEE" thread....I have been running the clock over a week and been able to wind both the mainspring and the fuse chain and keeps very good time. I don"t know what happened, but I must have gotten mixed up someplace. --- -----i'll blame it my stroke. THANKS so much again for the wonderful way you all are willing to share your knowledge!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stacey_AEH
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre