Fusee Clock Mainspring Adjustment Query

Gr8ham

Dec 13, 2010
Toronto, ON, Canada
Country
Region
Evening folks,

I’ve been working on an English two fusee clock movement off and on for some months. I’ve got it reassembled and it runs nicely. I’m curious about the fine tuning of the time side mainspring. Currently the pre-load/set-up is one full turn of the mainspring arbor. The clock slowly gains 5-10 seconds/day in the first few days of running then starts to increase the gain until by day 7 it has gained 90 seconds.

Would the solution be more or less tension on the mainspring?

Thanks!

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
I don’t know what most people do but I have three and I only set the spring at 1/4 turn. I think it gives them more even power throughout the week.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
First, I would slow it down a bit. If those early gains are reversed to losses you will be in good shape.

A fusee helps flatten a springs torque curve but it's not a perfect solution and all bets are off when the spring is changed.

Willie X

Gr8ham

Dec 13, 2010
Toronto, ON, Canada
Country
Region
First, I would slow it down a bit. If those early gains are reversed to losses you will be in good shape.

A fusee helps flatten a springs torque curve but it's not a perfect solution and all bets are off when the spring is changed.

Willie X
By slow it down you mean lower the pendulum bob rather than adjusting the pre-tension, right?

klokwiz

NAWCC Member
Feb 4, 2009
Annapolis, MD
Country
Region
Like Will said 1/4 turn is enough but don't think 1 turn is too much. Agree with Willie that you should regulate the clock with pendulum. Frankly your 90 seconds is damn good for starters, if that is total gained in week. Maybe you should compromise, back off the pre set to 1/2 turn and if you really want to experiment see if that has any effect on the regulation before adjusting the pendulum. Joe .

Reactions: Fitzclan and wow

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlfuller
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Ptolemy's Course of the Planets displayed by CLockwork by Tom McIntyre