Fusee clock kit assembly problem.

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Paul Jackson, Aug 17, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. Paul Jackson

Paul Jackson Registered User

Jul 16, 2013
    Barre Ma
    Hi, I have just assembled a single fusee hour striking clock. I wound the clock and it has been running for 3 hours. It is in beat and the minute hand is turning accurately. I can not get the hour hand to turn? The hour hand is a friction fit and the minute hand is held on by a round nut. I have built a spring driven clock kit and I just disassembled a striking Seth Thomas 48r, cleaned it, oiled it and reassembled it and they both work fine. This has been my only experience. Can some one please give me a few guesses as to what I may have missed or done wrong?

2. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well most often the minute hand drives the hour hand via an intermediate wheel. If that's your config then check that hour cannon wheel is meshing with intermediate wheel and that minute cannon wheel is meshing with the intermediate wheel.
    We will need a picture if this is not your config. Can you move the hour hand manually without it turning on the cannon?

3. Paul Jackson

Paul Jackson Registered User

Jul 16, 2013
    Barre Ma
    When I try turning the hour hand, sometimes it turns roughly and sometimes not at all. The wheels don't seem to mesh correctly. IMG_5920.jpg

4. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    This would go better in Clock Repair where I have moved it.