From the Past...stuff

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by dweiss17, Oct 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    100 years and sixty-nine days

As a 100 year old man I live with many memories…quite a few are bitter-sweet. This Valentine Day makes five years since I had to take Frankie Weiss (my second love of a long life) to the veterinarian and have her euthanized. At perhaps thirteen and a half years of age among other ailments she developed cancer. This was too much to take for both her and me. She would lay in front of the TV…no longer able to jump to the bed and snuggle under the covers against my outstretched legs.

This beautiful feline called a cat…from the very first time we met eye to eye in her cage at the Marlton Hospital adoption center it was one of those rare moments in a lifetime, when we each knew from that instant we were to be “Lovers until death do us part.” Valentines Day, February 14, 2011…it came to pass.

I held her in my arms as the girl vet [Jill] gave her the first injection to put her to sleep, next came the fatal injection that stopped her loving heart and tore a never ending hole in mine. Laying her gently on the steel examining table she looked so peaceful and still beautiful…I gently touched her right paw with its white and little streak of black fur…that was my last physical connection to this cat who taught me so much about the love between animal and human.

While my eyes held back the tears a mist developed and I had steeled myself never to shed a tear over her loss…instead, I would remember all the joy and beauty she brought into a life barely half a year later after losing my first love…my wife, Evelyn of thirty-nine years, short of two weeks.

Frankie Weiss was honored in two books; one about Evelyn and Frankie Weiss
    and their impact on my life. The other book was about “Frankie Weiss and her Magic.” The first book was strictly private…putting down on paper your thoughts about your loss…was written as a catharsis to help overcome the heartache I suffered. The “Magic” book went to three continents to Web sites that featured the feline. Magic also featured a number of the short stories concerning life with the first Johnnie and Frankie Weiss. One story about “Frankie Weiss and the Squirrel” was featured on this site.

Losing the first Johnnie was a terrible shock…she was our companion for nine years and one day…cancer was the culprit.

When we adopt an animal…it never enters our minds that as a human we almost always will outlive the animal we take into our hearts. I know it took me three days to get over the tears I shed…and poor Frankie Weiss went looking for her in every room in the house and would not eat for two days. Finally, self-preservation overcame her loss and she began eating again. A few years later, I knew I had to adopt a kitten to keep Frankie Weiss company. It took two weeks for her to accept Johnnie II as her housemate. In the meantime, Johnnie II just loved Frankie Weiss and was her constant groomer for as long as Frankie Weiss was to live out her life.

100 years and sixty-nine days after I was born…I look at a very long life and marvel at the many things that happened until today…I know I am privileged to live a life this long and share in the many events that took place and continues to this day and hopefully for years and days still to come.

2. RL

RL Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Country Flag:
    You're really doing good and have a sharp mind at your age Dan
    I marvel over where you are in life at this time.. I also have loved hearing about the cats and how much you have loved them and what they have meant to you and you to them.. May you live many years yet.
    By the way is Johnnie II still with you.

3. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You do have a good mind Dan, and great to hear from you. pets like dogs and cats, steal our hearts. To me, i love them and i would prefer to spend my time with them over some human beings.