• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Fried third and fourth edition difference?

RunesS

Jun 29, 2005
Hillerød, Denmark
Country
Hello

I have been offered the watch repairer's manual by fried...

But it is the third edition, so i just wanted to know what id the difference of the third and fourth edition??

Best Regards Rune B

RunesS

Jun 29, 2005
Hillerød, Denmark
Country
Hello

I have been offered the watch repairer's manual by fried...

But it is the third edition, so i just wanted to know what id the difference of the third and fourth edition??

Best Regards Rune B

bchaps

Dec 16, 2001
Mountain Top, PA
www.clockguru.com
Country
Region
Hi Rune...if you can get a 3rd ed., grab it! According to the fly leaf on the 4th ed. the changes are: freshened illustrations, repairs for watches which are peculiar and for which there has been no previous instruction, negative setting , motor barrels, dismantling and assembly of a verge fusee watch. It very well be that some of these topics now have expanded coverage.

Bill

Luca

Jan 19, 2004
I've heard some people prefer the earliest editions when they are into repairing earlier watches (pocket watches and early wrist) because there is more in depth on this type of repair rather than some of the swiss wristies covered in later editions. I can't say for sure since I only own one edition (3) but that's what some folks say. I'd personally like to have the earliest one made.

E

Emma

buy the fourth if you can get it. it is expanded, I cant remember weather the english watch section or the wrist watch section is the new one now, but remember being told that that there was a lot of extra useful info in the new one when i got mine. if the price is right tho, cant have too many books!

neighmond

Jan 31, 2003
Rural Iowa
Country
Region
The Fried book was our cannon text when I was in watchmakers' school in 1995-6. It's a good read, anyway you cut it.

Chaz

RunesS

Jun 29, 2005
Hillerød, Denmark
Country
Thanks for the replies guys!

I have decided to take the chance and get the 3rd ed.

Best regards Rune B

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jsteifle
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions