French Stuckler

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by John Rausch, Aug 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. John Rausch

John Rausch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2015
    I am now preparing to clean/oil a French Japy Frere movement. I have it torn down except for the Strike Flirt Lever, which is "stuck" on the mounting post. Removing the taper pin was easy enough, but I am being overly cautious (you know how sensitive the French are) in trying to remove this lever. The top looks like a tiny gear, but it does not engage with anything and appears to be pressed on. below it the sleeve and lever appear to be one piece.

Just wondering if someone who has worked on a Japy (or similar) can confirm that I just pry it off.

DSC02200a.jpg DSC02202.JPG

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The pin indicates it should come off. A little pressure under the base should lift it off.

3. dickstorer

dickstorer Registered User

Oct 19, 2010
    Male
    Retired Military
    Hampton, Georgia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That tiny gear is some ones idea of a washer to take up the space between the flirt and the taper pin hole.

4. Fitzclan

Fitzclan Registered User

Jul 20, 2014
    Male
    Long Island, New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah. The gear is not original to the movement, but looks like it does the trick. I’m sure it pulls right off.

5. John Rausch

John Rausch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2015
    And it did pry off... not easily, but it did. I was just a bit cautious because my French is so poor. Thanks for giving me the courage. I am a little wary of French movements because of war stories I've heard.

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah, they liked thin and very hard pivots. They break easily.