French portico clock

ClockFanatic

Dec 20, 2011
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Country
Region
Hello everyone,

Finally I have a chance to own a French Empire portico clock. Will get it in few days. As for now, I just have photo from auctioneer. Will provide more photo including the movement once receive it. The case is later one. Not original which is I guess should be under oval dome and same decoration base.

Another one is a two pillar/portico onyx (or marble I think) french clock. From the photo it looks very nice condition. Will get it tomorrow. Hope it will have a nice and safe journey. Even I have insured the parcel but it's just for lost not damage to an antique clock. I have also a 4 pillar one. French clock is my first favourite. Not just having very nice decorative case, but the movement is a very good quality.

But well hopefully these two will be with me for a longer time. Money will tell..;)

French Portico clock (1).jpg French Onyx Portico.jpg

shimmystep

Mar 5, 2012
Cambridge, UK
Country
Region
Look very nice CF, personal preference is the black one. Is the red/orange on the case tortoise shell and the blue enamel?

ClockFanatic

Dec 20, 2011
Country
Region
Look very nice CF, personal preference is the black one. Is the red/orange on the case tortoise shell and the blue enamel?
Thanks shimmystep. Yes the black one is my dream to have as well. According to auctioneer, it's tortoise shell. But the case does has a few damages but not really serious, could do with touch up I guess. Most probably will collect it on Thursday or Friday.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
A very nice portico clock and much my preference out of the two also. Any maker's mark on the movement?

ClockFanatic

Dec 20, 2011
Country
Region
Just received the onyx portico safely. A bit surprise with the movement which is not as normally we found it in brass but either stainless steel, nickel or plated etc. except some gear I guess. Is it possible a prototype/ apprentice clock maker? But for me the movement is a quality with thick plate and brocot escapement. Below are some photos.

IMG_0028.jpg IMG_0029.jpg IMG_0030.jpg IMG_0031.jpg IMG_0033.jpg

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Last edited:

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi,

I've seen a few of these plated movements lately, I think it's nickel plate, and the pillars were screwed in the dial plate, not riveted. Don't know if they were a later production than the commoner brass ones?

Regards,

Graham

shimmystep

Mar 5, 2012
Cambridge, UK
Country
Region
Bit of Info i found after a quick search..

S.C.A.P.H. ou Société Clusienne d'Appareils de Précision et d'Horlogerie,
créée en 1918 par M.Philippe CASSAN, ancien professeur de l'école nationale d'horlogerie de Cluses.....OR....

S.C.A.P.H. or Clusienne society of Apparatuses of Precision and Watchmaking,
created in 1918 by M.Philippe CASSAN, the ancient professor of the national school of watchmaking of Transverse valleys

scaph_10.jpg

ClockFanatic

Dec 20, 2011
Country
Region
Seems like it's a bit later movement as normal other roulant movement? Is the nickel plated cheaper and less quality than brass?

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Have you tried a magnet on it? I know of one maker that nickle plated brass movements ( a Canadian maker, Pequegnat). It's an extra expense when making movements. Some makers went to steel plates during war time when brass was used for munitions.

shimmystep

Mar 5, 2012
Cambridge, UK
Country
Region
Looks like a good quality movement to me, needs a good clean and service by the looks. The fly is missing its tension spring. Be interested to know the outcome of Harold's magnet test suggestion.

ClockFanatic

Dec 20, 2011
Country
Region
Looks like a good quality movement to me, needs a good clean and service by the looks. The fly is missing its tension spring. Be interested to know the outcome of Harold's magnet test suggestion.
I have just tested the movement plate with magnet and no interaction. Is the fly tension spring important? Need to find one.

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
The fly spring in these is just a piece of wire,sometimes flattened,that goes from one hole of the wing to the other,leaning onto the fly´s shaft.It gives a "smooth" start and stop and enough friction to run the fly.If You let the strike train go without it,You´ll see that the fly´s arbor spinns at high speed but the fly will not move.
Burkhard

shimmystep

Mar 5, 2012
Cambridge, UK
Country
Region
Pretty sure your movement is brass under the nickel plating then. Here's a picture of a fly spring in situ, works as Burkhard described. The fly works kind of like an air brake, without it the strikes would be too fast. I've had a look but unfortunately I haven't a spare to send you.
11.jpg

ClockFanatic

Dec 20, 2011
Country
Region
Pretty sure your movement is brass under the nickel plating then. Here's a picture of a fly spring in situ, works as Burkhard described. The fly works kind of like an air brake, without it the strikes would be too fast. I've had a look but unfortunately I haven't a spare to send you.
149178.jpg

Ok just noted that one. That's why I can see the fly a bit loose from the shaft.I will try to post in part wanted or anyone have a spare. Thanks

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi,

It's usually just a little piece of spring steel, so see what you have in the scrap bin!

Regards,

Graham

binman

Nov 16, 2011
Chatham England
Country
Region
What is the name for the black portico pendulum.

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
I´d call it a fancy (false) gridiron pendulum.OK?
Burkhard

ClockFanatic

Dec 20, 2011
Country
Region
Just pick up the black portico clock. No Medaille stamp. Just has ALEXIS A. PARIS which is I think was a retailer. Same print at the bottom of the dial but got a bit damage.
Movement is nice and in working order. The only thing, it;s beat with slight angle (not level). Cannot use the clutch to adjust the level because it has crutch stopper (2 pin). Try to push the anchor but a bit tight (don't want to mess around). The movement is in reasonable clean. The bell sound is really nice and sweet. Case got missing a part of brass inlay at the top crown. Overall quite happy with the clock.

IMG_0028.jpg IMG_0030.jpg IMG_0025.jpg IMG_0026.jpg

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
the crutch looks a bit bent,it´s soft,You can straighten it with care.That should solve the beat problem.A nice clock!
Burkhard

ClockFanatic

Dec 20, 2011
Country
Region
the crutch looks a bit bent,it´s soft,You can straighten it with care.That should solve the beat problem.A nice clock!
Burkhard
Thanks Burkhard. It's a nice clock indeed. I really want it before and now have a chance to add into my collection. Luckily I didn't break anything when I push the anchor. Because normally the anchor just has friction with the shaft that we can alter to have beat. Now I can see that the crutch little bit bent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javier B
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller