• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

French Portico Clock with an unknown signature

Corina

Jan 12, 2010
München/munic
Country
Region
hello again to all,
last week i bought a very dirty portico clock from french. i started a little bit cleaning of dial and found a signature. There was nothing seen before and i never started seriuos cleaning with this knowledge before.
nevertheless i was curious whats written and found " Henri Caster a Paris" maybe "Henri Castor a Paris". Do somebody know this name? i searched on "www" and did not found him. i will enclose a pic from clock, dial and signature.
it would make me happy, if somebody could give me more informations.
kind regards
corina

Attachments

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Deceased
Aug 24, 2000
Region
For what it is worth Corina: In my opinion, portico shaped clocks were admired mainly by the upper class in Austria and many were made there.
The etched name on the face, Henri Caster is probably the name of the retailer that sold the clock.

The maker's identity, if identifiable will most likely be discovered by viewing the movement inside the case. Many examples have a logo stamped or etched on the rear sided of the back plate of the movement. Many have no identity.

Remove the bell from the back, if present and obstructing the view of the back of the movement and inspect for any engraving or marks. If you find any evidence of a name or logo, let us know or reply with a photo of the back. Some only have numbers.

Corina

Jan 12, 2010
München/munic
Country
Region
I would like to restore dial by a professional restorer including signature. And so i need the correct name..i am not sure about Castor or Caster..
enclosed you find 2 movement pics in its condition i bought.
c. movement1.jpg movement.jpg

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
Early version of the pendule de Paris mvmt with silk suspension.Often not signed.Verry nice clock,allthough a lot of work has to be done.If the price was OK..Congrats!
Burkhard

Corina

Jan 12, 2010
München/munic
Country
Region
hallo Burkhard, sorry, wenn ich widerspreche, die Portaluhr hat kein Fadenpendel, wäre auch schlecht möglich, denn bei dem Gewicht vom Pendel ( wiegt gefühlt fast 1 kg) gibt jeder Faden den geist auf..*lach* Preis war erschwinglich..und viel Arbeit..ja...aber wunder..wunderschön.
lg
corina

Translation:

In short, saying there is no silk suspension. The pendulum, weighing almost 2 lbs,
would be too heavy for that.
The price of the clock was "affordable".

Last edited by a moderator:

soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
Country
Region
Corina, the NAWCC Message Board is an intenational site and therefore,
the rules state that MB language is English, except for book titles, etc.
This helps everyone understanding, what's going on, as you know, of course. :)
You may indeed send PMs to other members in German, if you like.

Tardy's Dictionnaire des Horologers Francais has nothing listed on Caster, Castor, Canter,
or similar. Perhaps a French colleague may drop in and know something about your clock.

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
I should have looked closer,yes,there are remains of a suspension spring.That piece of wire(?) fooled me.
Sorry
Burkhard

Corina

Jan 12, 2010
München/munic
Country
Region
Jurgen, i am so sorry. next time i will write again all messages in foreign language. thank you for translation.
may be castor/caster was a retailer. Yes, tardy did not register,therefore this thread.

Corina "mea culpa":coolsign:

soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
Country
Region
No problems, Corina.

More of a problem will be the identification of your movement, which
is often impossible, if it is not marked.
The roulants a Paris were made in great numbers, for instance by
Japy Freres, S. Marti and Vincenti and they too, sold them "loose" and unmarked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irishbogs
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-