• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

French movement problem

binman

Nov 16, 2011
Chatham England
Country
Region
Hi. A question for Shimmystep and his love for these movements. I have a French movement with gong, that was fully wound up, but wont run with the pendulum on, with out,the crutch runs very well, for the pass two days I have tried the pendulum and it stops running. I will have to let the springs down and check for bush wear, but nothing pointing to this problem at the moment. I have given the fork a tiny bit more width for the rod, any further suggestions. The movement will need a clean ,we'll over oiled. No makers name only a number 31207 and 14 at the bottom of the plate. The pendulum that came with it is 120mm from the hook to the let down pendulum centre. Any help welcome.

Missy

NAWCC Member
May 27, 2004
Ms.
Country
Region
Binman, could you post a picture of the clock and a close-up of the back of the movement? Do you have the case or is the movement you had trouble with the strike being out of sync?

Missy

oldticker

Jan 15, 2005
Birmingham, UK
Country
Region
Unless it has been cleaned, bushed and oiled it will probably not go anyway. Look at the mainsprings when you have it stripped down. Some get weak over time and it is not unusual to renew them.

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
The clock may be out of beat. It may run without pendulum when out of beat (doesn't have to lift much) but will not with the heavier pendulum attached. Most French roulants are very senitive in this regard.

Uhralt

Talyinka

May 14, 2011
England
Country
Second Uhralt. Lacking further information that is the most likely cause. In particular if the movement is a bit worn and dirty there may not be enough impulse left to move the pendulum, whereas it will free-swing the crutch fine.

shimmystep

Mar 5, 2012
Cambridge, UK
Country
Region
All of the above suggestions and also BM as Uhralt says; if as you say it needs a clean, dirt and solidified old oil will rob power. The springs in these are not particularly powerful (0.30-0.35mm) as the movement is very fine. There is as you say enough power to move the crutch but not enough to power the pendulum. If it is in beat it is probably a combination of a need for a clean and worn pivot holes. Pivot hole wear is hard to see when there is any old oil or dirt in these, as the pivots holes are so small. Have you got a few pics of the movement BM? On the pendulum length.....The number 14 doesn't sound right for the pendulum length, which the number at the bottom normally represents. by my calculations 14 would mean 379mm!!!! and 1.4 would be 36mm!!! Neither would be right!.

binman

Nov 16, 2011
Chatham England
Country
Region
Second Uhralt. Lacking further information that is the most likely cause. In particular if the movement is a bit worn and dirty there may not be enough impulse left to move the pendulum, whereas it will free-swing the crutch fine.
Uhralt. It was out of beat, I used my smart ear amp. Had to very very slightly bend the crutch. I find with these French movements they have to be spot on to work, hardly any room for error. I have two more movements in expensive clock which suddenly stop, so strip down will be required. Thanks for your input.

shimmystep

Mar 5, 2012
Cambridge, UK
Country
Region
Uhralt. It was out of beat, I used my smart ear amp. Had to very very slightly bend the crutch. I find with these French movements they have to be spot on to work, hardly any room for error. I have two more movements in expensive clock which suddenly stop, so strip down will be required. Thanks for your input.
Good to hear BM. You're right, very sensitive. A well serviced French movement is much easier to get in beat perfectly. The slightest bend in one the EW pivots will be very unforgiving.

Also apologies for not replying earlier given you aimed the post at me, been mad busy and hadn't checked in

Last edited:

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
Glad you got it running!

Uhralt