French Movement HELP and PARTS needed

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Scott Andersen, Oct 14, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Scott Andersen

Scott Andersen New Member

Oct 14, 2011
    I have a round French movement that is 75 mm in diameter with two trains.

I need some parts from original movements or someone to help make me the parts I need.

I have two pinion shafts that I need replaced or fabricated.

The first one is on the front of the movement its has a very short shaft and it has the drive wheel that links to the minute hand drive wheel.

The second one is the next to last shaft abnd wheel of the strike train...it links to fan control shaft....

Im rebuilding this old clock and I cant seem to find the parts I need.

I have been shopping ripoff ebay for months and everyone has the larger movement parts.

This movement is only 75mm in diameter and I must admit has been a challenge for me to get these parts....

I NEED HELP..... :>)

I can send pictures of the parts if needed

Thanks in advance

2. Talyinka

Talyinka Registered User

May 14, 2011
    England
    Country Flag:
    Unfortunately, old French movements are not plug 'n' play so even if you do find a similar movement there is no guarantee that you can move parts from one to the other so your best bet is to make the parts, either by repairing the existing ones or by fabricating new ones on a lathe.

Maybe photos showing the damage, and sketches with measurements, would help. I do have a selection of French movements I use for parts but in practice I almost always end up fabricating from scratch.

3. Ed O'Brien

Ed O'Brien Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Retired, and now full-time clock repairs.
    Winter Park, FL
    Country Flag:
    If you have the parts that need replacing, and can provide dimensions, I have a pretty good stock of French parts removed from "junk" movements. Agreed that finding a match is difficult, but not impossible as I have found.

Ed

4. Mike Phelan

Mike Phelan Registered User

Dec 17, 2003
    Retired
    West Yorkshire, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    1. Is the minute wheel.
    2. Is the warning wheel.
    Why do they need replacing? If it's broken pivots, then they'll probably have to be repivoted. Arbors on these are glass-hard. :(