French Marble Clock???

D

dtm

Hello, trying to I.D. a clock. Movements stamped S Marti et Cie. Medaille de Bronze. Movement has #1834 and pendulum #1834 and initials R. A. Also on the movement in a rectangular box the letters CJ over top of CC. The clock itself is of heavy marble (20-30 lbs). Please help I.d> and date Thanks.

French Marble Clock

Edited to insert picture url from additional post for the purposes of consolidation into one thread

D

dtm

Hello, trying to I.D. a clock. Movements stamped S Marti et Cie. Medaille de Bronze. Movement has #1834 and pendulum #1834 and initials R. A. Also on the movement in a rectangular box the letters CJ over top of CC. The clock itself is of heavy marble (20-30 lbs). Please help I.d> and date Thanks.

French Marble Clock

Edited to insert picture url from additional post for the purposes of consolidation into one thread

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Hi dtm
1840-1910, and the pendulum is original.
Your 'marble' is Belgian Slate.
R/A is Retard/Avance, or as they say in France, slower/faster.
:biggrin: For more info on dating it, we need some pictures, especially of the movement. :)

D

dtm

Thanks for posting, My clock is more a white/ butterscotch marble. About 10"w x 12" tall and 5" deep. I am trying to get pictures posted , so I can get some sort of value.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Originally posted by dtm:
Thanks for posting, My clock is more a white/ butterscotch marble. About 10"w x 12" tall and 5" deep. I am trying to get pictures posted , so I can get some sort of value.
Ah - that is real marble, then, dtm. I was assuming it was the usual black stuff - yours sounds nicer. Looking forward to the piccies!

Last edited by a moderator:

Richard T.

Deceased
Deceased
Apr 7, 2005
Country
Region
Greetings dtm,

I think your clock is actually onyx. It is very similar to one that I have that is onyx.

Regards,

Richard T.

tymfxr

NAWCC Member
May 13, 2005
Country
Region
dtm just in case you don't check your other post-this is my reply.
dtm, top-left of the message board main page
quote:
No Business Ads.
No For Sale Ads.
No Requests for Timepiece Values
Horological Discussions Only!

Also, did you read SSWood reply?
"Hi dtm,
The info held at http://www.bhi.co.uk/hints/frenchdate.htm
would date your movement somewhere between 1860, and 1889.
Steve"
My guess is 1880's. Much earlier clocks had silk suspension, and I also believe count-wheel strike. I'm not sure when the change started from silk to suspension spring-anyone have info on that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akrampe64
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff