• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

French Mantle Clock

sylvester12

Oct 17, 2015
Country
This is one of the few clocks my father had left in his collection. After a long battle with Alzheimer's he finally passed away on Tuesday. I don't know if the movement goes with the case or someone made the case to fit the movement. Pretty sure the movement is French the stamp on the movement has Medaille D'Argent with a branch in the middle. The adjusting wheel for the pendulum has Brocot stamped on it with some numbers. Does anyone know who made the movement. Date stamped 1825- 4- 8. Well made heavy movement.

DSC05894.JPG DSC05896.JPG DSC05897.JPG DSC05888.JPG DSC05888.JPG DSC05889.JPG DSC05898.JPG

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
The movement is definitely French and that stamp on the back is one that is commonly seen, but as far as I know has not been attributed to a specific maker. I don't believe 1825-4-8 is a date. It is a nice quality movement.

The case is well made but doesn't look right for the movement. I suspect they didn't start out life together.

Others may be able to provide more/better information.

JTD

sylvester12

Oct 17, 2015
Country
The movement is definitely French and that stamp on the back is one that is commonly seen, but as far as I know has not been attributed to a specific maker. I don't believe 1825-4-8 is a date. It is a nice quality movement.

The case is well made but doesn't look right for the movement. I suspect they didn't start out life together.

Others may be able to provide more/better information.

JTD
Thanks JTD I would say with 99% certainty that the case was made by someone to fit the movement. I will just get it running and keep it as a memory. He got me started collecting clocks.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
This is one of the few clocks my father had left in his collection. After a long battle with Alzheimer's he finally passed away on Tuesday. I don't know if the movement goes with the case or someone made the case to fit the movement. Pretty sure the movement is French the stamp on the movement has Medaille D'Argent with a branch in the middle. The adjusting wheel for the pendulum has Brocot stamped on it with some numbers. Does anyone know who made the movement. Date stamped 1825- 4- 8. Well made heavy movement.

View attachment 511821 View attachment 511822 View attachment 511823 View attachment 511819 View attachment 511819 View attachment 511820 View attachment 511824
My condolences on the death of your father.

Best regards.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Sorry to hear about your dad. I'd say 1825 is a serial # and 4 8 is the pendulum length. I did own a French clock with the same movement and mark apart from it had Marque Deposee (registered trademark I understand) as opposed to Medaille D'Argent and no A1 mark.

Berry Greene

Oct 2, 2017
Chichester
Country
Region
I have hear yet another similar movement. French made "Marque Deposee" serial 6551 - 48 where again I believe 48 refers to the pendulum length. It has a heavy oak veneered wooden mantle case. The movement - which I believe is sometimes called a drumhead , is patterned along the same lines as another clock in my collection (black marble C1880-1900 )which has a repair mark date scratched inside of Apr1910. This design might have been made by various manufacturers I suppose. Nevertheless I would love to know the date of this mantle clock. I will attach a photo or three taken before the clean up and removal of all the corrosion. It is working well now and a welcome member of my collection.
Rgds Berry G

Fr. Mantle clock Nov2020-1 (2).jpg Fr.Mantle 12Nov2020-(1).jpg Fr.Mantle 12Nov2020-(2).jpg Fr.Mantle 12Nov2020-(5).jpg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I would love to know the date of this mantle clock.
Judging by the clock's appearance, I would think the case was made around 1910 - 1920, but it could be later.

Whether the movement is original to the case I am not so sure. Others with more knowledge of French clocks may be able to date it better.

JTD

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
Hi,

I would place the date of the clock around 1890-1900, and fully agree with JTD about the case. It almost certainly isn't original, I would be very surprised if it was. What does the stamp on the back plate say? It should be that of the manufacturer, probably Japy - but it is too blurred to make out in the pictures provided.

Regards.

Berry Greene

Oct 2, 2017
Chichester
Country
Region
Judging by the clock's appearance, I would think the case was made around 1910 - 1920, but it could be later.

Whether the movement is original to the case I am not so sure. Others with more knowledge of French clocks may be able to date it better.

JTD
Yes that is in line with my own thinking and that of another interested party exactly. I think its the original movement as its fitted so snugly. The case is slabbed and veneered. Inside the space has bored out as a circular tunnel by some large lathe I should think. There is a space for the pendulum to swing in between the slabs cut away before they were joined I should think.
It suits me to say "Edwardian" 1900-1914 when WW1 would have interrupted everything. Yes it could be early 1920's but by then the mantle clock cases were becoming cabinets often made of boards and indeed veneered plywood.
The irony is this is just the sort of thing my pattern maker father (b1900) would have known all about.
Got to just say that these old French movements work really well. They have little extras like the frontal adjustment of the rate. There are ways to phase and time the strike without having to split the plates again. {Small removable pivots that allow re-meshing of the hammer and strike lift}. They keep good time too for 8 days winding routine but will often run 14 days end to end at the sacrifice of accuracy. Back in that period they would have had to have been more reliable and accurate/ Pre-wireless I suppose it was referenced to a sun-dial eh?
Thank you for you interest.
Rgds, BerryG
Hi,

I would place the date of the clock around 1890-1900, and fully agree with JTD about the case. It almost certainly isn't original, I would be very surprised if it was. What does the stamp on the back plate say? It should be that of the manufacturer, probably Japy - but it is too blurred to make out in the pictures provided.

Regards.
Thanks for your interest and the response.
There is no makers name - only a round stamp "Marque Deposee" which is a French registration or patent - as I understand it. I think various makers were involved and they started C1800. The numbers (serials) are not very easy to read but 6551 48 is almost certainly correct as they are repeated on the dial plate. {The "5's" look like "3'" A fairly common dial design and I have a similar one (no movement) with Arabic numerals. The rosette in the centre is mounted on a white enamelled central circle with access to the winding shafts. I have a better photo now. {Attached below}.
Yes I suppose the case could be later. Purpose made - not adapted IMHO.
It seems to be working quite well but early days yet.
Best regards BerryG

Fr. Mantle clock 15Nov2020_resized.jpg