French Gilt Metal & Porcelain Clock. Gold gilding?

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by PaulMcG, May 18, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. NAWCC Login Function is Not Working. If you know your username and password for the Message Board, you can log in using the small login link at the upper right.
  1. PaulMcG

PaulMcG Registered User

Mar 22, 2014
    #1 PaulMcG, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I have a very pretty French gilt metal and porcelain clock to restore. Happy doing the movement but when it comes to the case I would like a second opinion. The wooden based is very distressed. All of the gold gilt has worn away, the green velor is completly worn off and the rope/cord is coming away. I was going to use high quality gold leaf to reguild the base. I am confident that i can do a good job as I have done other non valuable items for fun.

So would this be a huge mistake to renew the gilt on the woonden base? Should I just accept the poor state it is in?
    Photos attached.

2. George Nelson

George Nelson Registered User

Oct 5, 2007
    Hi, Paul,

In my never to be humble opinion, I would re-secure the rope/cord and leave it at that. While I have done some re-gilding myself, the finished product, no matter the "color" of gilding I use, always seems to be a bit too new looking.

If you could locate a piece of very old velour to address that on the base, I might be tempted to replace that as well. However, overall your clock displays very well, and obviously has some age and history to it. I would really just re-secure the cord and enjoy the old girl with all of her historical bumps and bruises.

Warmest regards,

George