French escapement spring

skinnb1

NAWCC Member
Oct 4, 2015
Country
I have a 1950s Elliot (UK maker) clock with an 11 Jewel French platform escapement (engraved on the platform). The escape wheel has a spring mounted on top of it and below is a cam which moves independently. The pin holding one end of the spring engages with the cam. I haven't seen this before. Can anyone help me understand the purpose of the spring and the cam? Apologies for the slightly out of focus picture I hope it is clear enough to see the components. 1807120858091014054875.jpg

Thanks

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi skinnb1,

Looks like a remontoire to me, a mechanism to isolate the escapement from the rest of the train so that variations in mainspring power don't affect it, and it provides a constant force to the lever and balance wheel. The train winds the spring on the escape wheel and the cam arrangement locks and unlocks the drive to the spring as required. These complications are usually only found on high quality movements.

Regards,

Graham

skinnb1

NAWCC Member
Oct 4, 2015
Country
Hi skinnb1,

Looks like a remontoire to me, a mechanism to isolate the escapement from the rest of the train so that variations in mainspring power don't affect it, and it provides a constant force to the lever and balance wheel. The train winds the spring on the escape wheel and the cam arrangement locks and unlocks the drive to the spring as required. These complications are usually only found on high quality movements.

Regards,

Graham

Thanks Graham. Now I have the word a quick internet search on the term makes it all clear.

skinnb1

NAWCC Member
Oct 4, 2015
Country
I discovered in "Clockmaking in England and Wales in the Twentieth Century: The Industrialized Manufacture of Domestic Mechanical Clocks" by
by John Glanville, William M Wolmuth a picture of this Elliot escapement where the spring is described as having a buffering effect to reduce the noise of the escapement.

Top Bottom