• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

French Empire clock a Honore Pons St. Nicolas Rouen

oakcircle

NAWCC Member
Dec 30, 2010
Brandon, MS
Country
I have just recently purchased a nice French empire bronze clock. It appears to depict the Greek god Apollo with his lyre. The movement is engraved
Pons, a St. Nicolas - Rouen
From my research on the internet, it appears it would have been made between 1807, when he moved to St. Nicolas, and 1819, when he started using a round stamp mark after he won a silver medal. I would appreciate any information or feedback as to the accuracy of this assumption.

I joined as a temporary member and attended the convention in Chattanooga--my first clock show. I was great! Thanks to everyone for being so nice and making me feel welcome.

Attachments

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Your dates for Pons arriving from Paris in Saint Nicolas d'Aliermont and being awared a silver medal are correct so your assumption the movement was made between those dates is a reasonable one.

What is unexplained is why the movement is marked Rouen as while it is in upper Normany and is fairly nearby St Nicolas d'Aliermont I'm not aware that Pons ever worked there or that it has any specific horological connections though there is a street in Rouen named St Nicolas. Anyway it's a lovely clock and the case is of very good quality.

oakcircle

NAWCC Member
Dec 30, 2010
Brandon, MS
Country
Thank both of you for the information.
The Tardy entry states, "Il exposa a Rouen en 1809..." Since I do not speak/read French very well, I wanted to ask if someone who is fluent could provide an interpretation of the word "exposa". Does it mean he exhibited his clocks at a one time event or does it mean he sold/displayed his clocks in a shop or showroom?
Many thanks.

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
Google translate:

"
He exhibited at Rouen in 1809"

Ralph

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator