French French Comtoise

monteloup

Feb 10, 2021
Country
Hello,
I would like to know the circa of my clock.Is it a Morbier or a Comtoise?
Thank you.

CB9A25B3-A251-49BF-881D-155477CD0B9A.jpeg 0D92CB6F-B684-4142-BBEA-A82EE8580410.jpeg 3850E34F-C9C1-4E93-B4B5-55D834DD3DA8.jpeg 03957FCD-018E-4497-9B4D-E50DD3AA3163.jpeg

brian fisher

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2017
houston, tx
Country
Region
i would really like to see the top of the movement to get an idea what the suspension bridge looks like. i can tell you that by the style of the escape wheel, it was probably built before 1860 or so.

monteloup

Feb 10, 2021
Country
i would really like to see the top of the movement to get an idea what the suspension bridge looks like. i can tell you that by the style of the escape wheel, it was probably built before 1860 or so.
Here you go. Thank you!

C7CD0BE7-9342-45F0-A09E-83EE571EF547.jpeg

brian fisher

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2017
houston, tx
Country
Region
well, according to chapter 190, it would appear to be quite a bit earlier than 1870. opinions vary, but i believe the crown wheel escapement was out of existence before 1860. judging by the height of the suspension bridge and string suspension spring on the front of the clock, i would guess this one is more like 1815 +/-10 years or so. i doubt the brass repousse is original to this clock. it appears to be a later design. i see it has a calendar complication which is a cool added bonus. i can't tell from your pics of the dial is original.

Last edited:
Reactions: tkmc37

monteloup

Feb 10, 2021
Country
well, according to chapter 190, it would appear to be quite a bit earlier than 1870. opinions vary, but i believe the crown wheel escapement was out of existence before 1860. judging by the height of the suspension bridge and string suspension spring on the front of the clock, i would guess this one is more like 1815 +/-10 years or so. i doubt the brass repousse is original to this clock. it appears to be a later design. i see it has a calendar complication which is a cool added bonus. i can't tell from your pics of the dial is original.

This is fascinating.
Thank you.
The clock has been in my family forever. I brought it back to the US after my parents passed away.
I am adding pictures of the dial.
As you see from my previous pictures, the mechanism is very dirty. Do you have recommendations on how to clean it up.
I won’t take the mechanism apart. It works and keeps the time. It is just very dusty and grimy.

340C35B8-EE10-4A8F-A4AD-33E56A5AE3CE.jpeg 99D7F98E-1487-4447-8091-B17AD7BC5105.jpeg

Last edited:

brian fisher

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2017
houston, tx
Country
Region
the dial is indeed an original enameled version. most likely the metal is copper. however, that isn't to say it was necessarily original to this clock. your repousse is probably from sometime after 1850. some will argue the point with me, but i believe most of these clocks were originally housed in a wooden floor standing cabinet. they could also be purchased as a wall hanging unit such as your example. it is difficult to say which way yours would have been originally purchased, but the brackets holding yours to the wall look really good.

this clock really NEEDS to be taken apart and cleaned before it is ran. it has apparently been many years since it has had the "spa treatment". these are very simple and easy to take apart and put back together. in fact, my first movement service was a very similar morbier. on the top of the movement bird cage, there are 4 screws. they hold the posts in the cage for each respective train. remove one screw and pull out the respective post. this is how the entire train comes apart. if you decide to tackle it yourself, take phots so it will be easier for you to put back together.

monteloup

Feb 10, 2021
Country
the dial is indeed an original enameled version. most likely the metal is copper. however, that isn't to say it was necessarily original to this clock. your repousse is probably from sometime after 1850. some will argue the point with me, but i believe most of these clocks were originally housed in a wooden floor standing cabinet. they could also be purchased as a wall hanging unit such as your example. it is difficult to say which way yours would have been originally purchased, but the brackets holding yours to the wall look really good.

this clock really NEEDS to be taken apart and cleaned before it is ran. it has apparently been many years since it has had the "spa treatment". these are very simple and easy to take apart and put back together. in fact, my first movement service was a very similar morbier. on the top of the movement bird cage, there are 4 screws. they hold the posts in the cage for each respective train. remove one screw and pull out the respective post. this is how the entire train comes apart. if you decide to tackle it yourself, take phots so it will be easier for you to put back together.
Thank you so much for all the information. I will have to find a clock repairman. I am to scared to do it myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aleksi peikrishvili
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff