• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's lines in the Columbia, PA area. We are working on the immediate issue with Comcast and are also working on a long term plan that will eliminate our reliance on Comcast. Thank you for your patience.

french clock

ajs

Sep 28, 2009
I am working on a Japy countwheel strike movement with a missing suspension spring and some of the regulator adjusting parts. The regulator is not a Brocot or a Vallet type but a Duvoye type. Anyone have parts or photos/diagrams to assist in fabrication?

LaBounty

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 29, 2002
Mitchell, NE
www.abouttime-clockmaking.com
Country
Region
Hey Ajs-

All I could find on the Duvoye suspension was in "The French Marble Clock" by Nicolas Thorpe, pg. 89. There's no photo but here's what it says...

"The Duvoye suspension is in many respects a cross between a Brocot and a Vallet versions. The name 'Duvoye' appears on the adjusting wheel. I first saw it used on a Japy locking plate movement that was manufactured after 1880. Duvoye lodged a patent for a type of clock suspension in 1852."

It may be possible to find the original patent information based on the above information.

A Google search for "Duvoye" turned up some photos Here. They may not be detailed enough to help with your reconstruction but at least they are photos :).

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Richard T.

Deceased
Deceased
Apr 7, 2005
Country
Region
Hi David,

There seems to be a problem with your "here" link. It looks like the Seth Thomas Fly photo from a few days ago.....

Best,

Richard T.

ajs

Sep 28, 2009
David
Thank you that is the closest I've seen yet. I would love to see the original patent drawings.
Ajs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JJLEBOATBABE
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-