French clock?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by morgan0846, Aug 19, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. morgan0846

morgan0846 Registered User

Apr 6, 2016
    Country Flag:
    does antone recognise this lovely clock which i have just purchased. the figures appear to be bronze with a marble base. any help would be welcome
    regards
    Morgan

DSCN1281.JPG DSCN1284.JPG

Love clocks likes this.
  2. mauleg

mauleg Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Country Flag:
    A nice French Figural, I'd estimate mid to late 19th century; the name on the dial is the retailer where the clock was sold with the town name underneath. If you can get a picture of the back of the movement, we might be able to tell you more about it.

3. morgan0846

Apr 6, 2016
    Country Flag:
    many thanks for the response, probably why I couldnt find the manufacturer. couple of pictures attached of the back if its any help, no sign of any maker that I can see. as you can see its in a terrible state and has no pendulum so loads of work to be done, also the mainspring is not working, either brokne or come adrift
    regards
    Morgan

DSCN1285.JPG DSCN1286.JPG

4. barryb

barryb New Member

Nov 16, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi

That looks like a Japy Freres movement.

Barry

5. Ticktocktime100

Ticktocktime100 Registered User

Nov 11, 2012
    Student
    France
    Country Flag:
    Hi,
    As mauleg said, your clock is 19th century, and I would refine the date to 1880-1900. Figural clocks such as this one did indeed often have Japy movements, but they were always stamped. Therefore, it would surprise me if yours was an unmarked Japy. There were many other manufacturers at the same period in Paris and the surrounding areas, hence the name "Mouvement de Paris" commonly associated with these movements. Some makers didn't sign their products, so in the absence of a stamp it would be extremely difficult to attribute the clock to a specific firm. This scarcely matters as the quality is essentially the same, it is just satisfying to make such an attribution.
    Regards.

6. morgan0846

Apr 6, 2016
    Country Flag:
    yes Barry you are probably correct as to all intense and purpose it appears identical to a Japy Freres
    regards
    Morgan

7. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Morgan,

They may be bronze but probably more likely to be cold painted spelter. Either way, the figures are quite well modelled, as these pieces generally seem to be. The French sculptors knew their business!

Regards,

Graham

8. morgan0846

Apr 6, 2016
    Country Flag:
    having just stripped the french unit down I find that 2 teeth are stripped on the time side 2nd motion pinion. any suggestions. I do have anothe clock which i could pinch a replacement pinion from but reluctant to do that as it is in working order
    have attached some piccys
    regards
    Morgan

DSCN1289.JPG DSCN1291.JPG DSCN1293.JPG

9. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    You can get new wheels cut to your spec. There are a few people who do this as a speciality and it's not cheap but it's worthwhile if you need it.

JTD

10. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    PM me. I might be able to help.

Ralph

11. morgan0846

Apr 6, 2016
    Country Flag:
    hi Ralph
    thank you for offering help what would you propose, I notice that you are across the big pond so might be difficult, what do yo think.
    regards
    Morgan

12. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Morgan, I have sent you a PM regarding getting this done in UK.

JTD

13. morgan0846

Apr 6, 2016
    Country Flag:
    many thanks will give a try
    regards
    Morgan