French Clock Thermometer Barometer

testguy

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2005
Country
Region
I picked up this clock recently, and am interested to know more about it. Any information on this clock set would be greatly appreciated. I had the clock movement cleaned and serviced, and its now working satisfactorily. The thermometer works good and the barometer also seems to work good since being adjusted.
Thank you.
Brian

IMG_7737.JPG IMG_7738.JPG IMG_7739.JPG IMG_7740.JPG IMG_7741.JPG IMG_7742.JPG IMG_7743.JPG IMG_7744.JPG

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
You are correct, the movement of the clock seems to be French. I would date it around 1900. I'm not sure if the complete clock is French because the two other elements, the thermometer and the barometer have scales only in English. For a French assembly I would expect either French or both French and English. Also a Reaumur scale for the thermometer was more popular in France than the Fahrenheit. So I think the clock was assembled in England or America using a French clock movement. If you can, please rotate the barometer a bit counter-clockwise. The "Change" should be on top and the 27 on the bottom. It will look better when properly centered.

Uhralt

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
You are correct, the movement of the clock seems to be French. I would date it around 1900. I'm not sure if the complete clock is French because the two other elements, the thermometer and the barometer have scales only in English. For a French assembly I would expect either French or both French and English. Also a Reaumur scale for the thermometer was more popular in France than the Fahrenheit. So I think the clock was assembled in England or America using a French clock movement. If you can, please rotate the barometer a bit counter-clockwise. The "Change" should be on top and the 27 on the bottom. It will look better when properly centered.

Uhralt
I think it's French made for the English speaking market, i.e., the US, Canada, UK and colonies, etc.

Doubt very much made in US but certainly could have been retailed here.

RM.

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
I think it's French made for the English speaking market, i.e., the US, Canada, UK and colonies, etc.
I don't know, possibly. The exclusively English scales make me wonder. I have seen many bilingual (French and English) barometers and thermometers made in France. There seems to be a manufacturer's logo on the barometer but I can't see what it is.

Uhralt

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
I guess I have to correct myself. Having looked into the issue a little deeper, I agree with RM.

It seems the French made barometers and thermometers in various languages for exportation. I have even seen one in Dutch, which is not a very big market. There is also a quite similar clock, barometer, thermometer combo with scales in French but otherwise quite similar on ebay right now. You will find it when you search for "Antique French barometer clock". According to our rules I can't put a link to it from here because it is an active auction.

Uhralt

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
It certainly looks French. Funnily enough I have a barometer with an English maker's name on it, J Sewill, that has a thermometer with both Fahrenheit and Reaumur scales.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Winter Steelheader
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller