• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

French Clock Suspension Spring Replacement

derwiener

Old Timer
Aug 8, 2009
Below is a picture of a French clock suspension spring which is held by a vallet suspension. The right side of the spring is broken and the spring has to be replaced. I have two questions:

1. The spring mm dimensions do not match exactly any I have seen in Timesavers catalog. However, the overall width of those in the catalog would fit into the grooved area in the vallet so that both parts close properly. The length, hole to pin and spring thickness are all within a couple of mm of what is offered at Timesavers. As long as the spring fits properly into the vallet, how important is it that the other measurements be exact to the mm, and should I look somewhere else besides Timesavers for this spring?

2.There is a barely visible pin that has to be pushed out to remove the spring from the wheel. I'm not sure if the pin hole is tapered, but the pin head seems smaller and even less visible on the other side. What kind of an instrument should I use to remove this pin?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Paul

Suspension Spring.JPG

daveR

NAWCC Member
Sep 10, 2008
melbourne, Australia
Country
Region
HI Derwiener
In reverse order, my suggestion is that to remove the pin obviously you need a pusher the same size or smaller. If you have a staking set it might have a small enough pin, although they are sometimes broken off. Alternatively you could gat a wood screw and gently grind a round tip with a flattened end to size.
As for the replacement I have found it difficult also in the past and got the nearest available size and had to gently thin the spring with a stone and file the block to fit. I may have also opened the gap a smidgen in the block to ensure it is free but not able to move - if that makes any sense.
Just my suggestion
David

UncleDoc

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2020
Colonie, NY
Country
Region
This is crazy. I have exactly the same thing going on with a movement I'm working on. Exactly.

derwiener

Old Timer
Aug 8, 2009
HI Derwiener
In reverse order, my suggestion is that to remove the pin obviously you need a pusher the same size or smaller. If you have a staking set it might have a small enough pin, although they are sometimes broken off. Alternatively you could gat a wood screw and gently grind a round tip with a flattened end to size.
As for the replacement I have found it difficult also in the past and got the nearest available size and had to gently thin the spring with a stone and file the block to fit. I may have also opened the gap a smidgen in the block to ensure it is free but not able to move - if that makes any sense.
Just my suggestion
David
Hi Dave:

Thanks for the reply. I'll try the screw approach as I don't have a bit nearly small enough for that pin.

Paul