• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

French Clock Stops at Warning

derwiener

Old Timer
Aug 8, 2009
I have a French clock that has been disassembled, cleaned, reassembled, and properly oiled. Most of the time it runs fine. However, once and a while it stops about 5 minutes before the hour, right at the warning. I notice a slight resistance when I push the pendulum to restart the clock, so I assume it must be getting hung up on something that causes it to stop only at the warning. I'm not sure where to look, so I would very much appreciate any suggestions how to remedy this situation.

Thank you very much!

Paul

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
I have a French clock that has been disassembled, cleaned, reassembled, and properly oiled. Most of the time it runs fine. However, once and a while it stops about 5 minutes before the hour, right at the warning. I notice a slight resistance when I push the pendulum to restart the clock, so I assume it must be getting hung up on something that causes it to stop only at the warning. I'm not sure where to look, so I would very much appreciate any suggestions how to remedy this situation.

Thank you very much!

Paul
count wheel or rack strike?

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Probably just needs dismantling and cleaning? The resistance when you try to start it might be that the 'scape wheel isn't moving with having goop on the pivots, so be careful!

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
Your clock is showing symptoms of low power to the escapement. As you have been scratching your head, I am sure you have suspected the main spring and the escapement. Probably that is the wrong approach as the main spring and escapement normally get the blame when they are victims of the real problem.
You have done the preventative things and now you must concentrate on the curative things. Clean, oil and adjust are primarily preventative and your clock is beyond that doing any good. The power in your clock has degraded to the point that it cannot go into warn every time. Your clock is not dependable due to wear. Wear causing friction which causes power loss.
My bet is that if you install bushings at all wear points, your clock will become dependable again. I say all wear points because clocks are not prone to wear at only one or two places. Doing a half job will result in the clock again failing when one of the ignored wear points becomes an issue and stops the clock.

Best of luck,

Dick

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
Is your strike side set up right... the gears timed correctly. There are often marks on the gears and pinion leaves to aid in timing. Otherwise, you need to make sure the hammer is not on the rise after the warning trips.

Is the gathering pallet getting hung up in the rack?

Ralph

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
I must admit that I've never had to bush a pivot on a French roulant clock in the last fifty years. I'd go with Ralph here - a mixture of incorrect timing and dirty pivots.

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Yes. I've seen the rising warning lever hit the warning pin as it's rising. Sometimes it will bounce off and work fine. But other times it will stop the lever from lifting any further, which in turn will stop the clock.
Next time is stops like that, look at the warning pin to see if it's jammed on the lever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommabird
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller