French Clock Main Spring

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by orso, Oct 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. orso

orso Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 9, 2013
    Male
    Retired AirForce Officer
    Minnesota
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, all.
    I'm trying to fix this old French Clock I got in pieces from a friend who was trying to clean it. (see pics).
    I found two different springs in the barrels; on the strike side .30mmx21.40mm and on the Time side .25mmx21.25mm; they are both approx. 48" long.
    Both are a bit coned. Since both have signs of having been shortened, I'm not sure of the original length. Any idea about the clock brand and a substitution? The barrels are both 30.3mm Inside Diam. and 24mm dip.
    Thanks

Case.jpeg Brand Marks.jpeg Main Springs.jpg

2. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    You cane un-cone those by pulling them back the other way. As for the length I would fix the one end. And call it good and test them in the clock.

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree. They're likely only a couple of inches shorter than they were.

4. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The brownish colored spring is very likely a replacement, and the other one has obviously been cut and re-holed so there is no way to know if it was a too long that was cut down, or if it has been re-holed before. I don't recognize the logo. ~48 seems about right for length. Make sure the width is such that the spring has a little space between the barrel and the cover. French clocks can be a little fussy about their springs. I would be inclined to replace them, especially the badly coned one with the ragged end.

RC

5. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Most will be between .010 to .011" thick. So, the .3 mm is a little hefty for a French clock. They could both be reused. Assuming no cracks. The French made some of the best springs ever made.

WIllie X

6. orso

orso Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 9, 2013
    Male
    Retired AirForce Officer
    Minnesota
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks all for your replies.
    I'm inclined to change both springs; I know not everybody will agree, but the ticker one seems too thick for this clock and the tinner, although has no cracks, it has a strange bent at 12" from the top. I used a formula Bangster post time ago and came out with 1237mm (circa 48") and found one .28mm (Circa .11").
    This is also what came out from your answers.
    Thanks again