French Clock Info Sought

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by timelyrestorations, Oct 13, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. timelyrestorations

timelyrestorations Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 26, 2001
    Country Flag:
    Hi all;

Just picked this one up. Beautiful French clock with a figure at top. The only markings I can find are L P stamped on the gong stand, which I assume to be Japy & Cie. A couple of questions which I hope someone can answer: 1). Is there a name for this particular style of clock? 2). Would the figure on top be Diana the huntress? 3). any way of determining approximate age? Thanks in advance.

Doug

diana1.JPG diana2.JPG diana3.JPG diana4.JPG

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I'm no expert here, but are you assuming that the "L P" on the gong stand indicates Louis P. Japy? I would have to wonder. Can you provide pictures of the gong stand and, more importantly, the movement?

3. timelyrestorations

NAWCC Member

Jan 26, 2001
    Country Flag:
    "LP" stamping, and movement. Sorry, movement picture not very clear, but it is a typical French round time and strike style.

diana5.JPG diana6.JPG

4. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Searching briefly, I find we have seen this L.P. before on a gong block, in this thread: Please help identify this carriage clock!. If it were Japy, I would expect L.P. Japy and that it be on the movement, not the gong block, like here: FRENCH CLOCK.
    For another example of L.P., it was suggested that it might Leon Paget, but I'm not so sure in your case. Post Your Comtoise (Morbier/Morez) Clocks Here.
    The L.P. on your gong block might simply be the initials of the gong maker. Possibly, they are the initials of the movement finisher, but, again, I would expect those to be on the movement. Since you don't mention any markings on the movement, I will assume for now that there are none.

BTW, if that critter on the figure's helmet is an owl (I can't tell for sure), I would believe that she is Athena.

The clock style might be called portico, but it is not quite like other portico clocks I've seen. Others may know better.

5. Ticktocktime100

Ticktocktime100 Registered User

Nov 11, 2012
    Student
    France
    Country Flag:
    Hi,
    You have what is called a figural clock, because it has the figure atop as you already know. Judging by the spear and the shield she is holding, I believe that it is Athena, the Greek goddess of war, and not Diana the huntress, who would often be depicted with a bow and arrow, along with a little dog. Your clock was made around 1880-1900, and if it was by Japy it would no doubt be stamped. Without such a stamp one can’t attribute it to a specific manufacturer. The movement in these French clocks are commonly referred to as « Mouvements de Paris », as they were produced in Paris and the surrounding areas by a number of different firms.
    Regards.

6. timelyrestorations

NAWCC Member

Jan 26, 2001
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the responses so far. I have done a partial disassembly and found the following: movement stamped at bottom 5779 14. The 5779 also appears on the pendulum bob, the bezel and the dial plate and center button. So, it would appear all these parts are original to the clock. The rear door is stamped Villeneuve, and the letters "VD" appear on a number of parts. I believe both previous posters are correct that the figure is Athena, although I am unsure what the significance of the ornamentation below the dial is? An interesting clock to be sure!
    Doug

diana7.JPG