French Cabinet or Parlor Clock ?

Ontime

Nov 6, 2012
$_57 (1).JPG Movement marked H & H. What would this design be called ?
It measures 15" tall and 11" wide - case is mahogany.

Last edited:

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
"French Cabinet or Parlor Clock?" Neither. In my own opinion the clock's style is Art Nouveau. or an attempted creation of that style.

The Roman numeral face,once elegantly silvered, is an unfortunate miss-match in styling by Harris and Harrington. H & H, I understand, did create some nice French style clock cases.

Ontime

Nov 6, 2012
Another question; would H & H have had this case made in the U.S., then install the French movement or was it fully manufactured in France, then imported.

Also; is there a chance the dial was not originally silvered ? I found several images of this model, all had brass dials & I see no traces of silvering on mine.

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
Another question; would H & H have had this case made in the U.S., then install the French movement or was it fully manufactured in France, then imported.

Also; is there a chance the dial was not originally silvered ? I found several images of this model, all had brass dials & I see no traces of silvering on mine.

Harris and Harrington, a US retailer did not manufacture clocks to my knowledge. Instead, H & H was an importer.

Without having the clock in hand for inspection, I cannot positively state the origin of the case or its movement, or the face. Your single snapshot photo offers no evidence to assist in any reasonable or conclusive answers.

The mahogany case dimensions you provided, 15" by 11" and the spacing of the two winding holes in the dial suggest a small round French roulant or similar US made movement.

My comment(s) were based on visual perusal of your snapshot image. The artistic style of the wood case with flowing symetrical curves are generally found on attempts that later became known as Art Nouveau. The abrupt upward peak is a style that was not admired in the US during the period H&H prevailed.

More and detailed photographs might provoke more a more positive reply.

Last edited:

Ontime

Nov 6, 2012
The movement is a typical round French type, signed 'Vincenti'. Besides the Harris & Harrington marking, it's also marked 'Made in France', which I gather dates it post 1890 which coincides with a H & H clock. Is it common to see Vincenti movements in clocks this late, seeing that they shut down manufacturing in 1870 ?