French Brass Lantern ID & Date

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Duane Deppen, Nov 25, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Duane Deppen

Duane Deppen Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2018
    Pick this up at auction. Any date and maker ideas? Any places to research it more? Thanks for help.

1.jpg 9.jpg 7.jpg 12.jpg 8.jpg

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would have thought 20th century, shows no sign of conversion from a real one so was made like that.

3. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I agree with Nick, probably 20th century, but nicely made and engraved. It says 'Made in France' on the back plate, so we know where it (or at least the movement) was made. There is a word stamped above the 'Made in France' but it is very blurred in your photo. Can you tell us what it says?

JTD

4. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The front of the clock looks like it could be an old lantern clock. Except the bell, and Recency style hands. The Victorians and Edwardians were industrious, in those times there was a lot of use of old clock parts to make more "modern" clocks. Lantern clocks made from old parts, fitted with French, or the more expensive fusee movements can be found today. I would suspect your clock was not mass produced, but a made up clock to suit a more modern home than an ungainly 30 hour weight wall clock.

5. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've seen them at auctions, I think it was suggested they were 1950s but I don't know if that's true. They seem to have carriage clock movements with a passing strike.

6. Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Some of them were clearly new construction, some of these recycled lantern clocks can command substantial prices at auctions. Especially when stuffed to the brim with twin fusee movements.

7. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There are several on ebay at the moment. The chapter ring is screwed on in the french style, the case shows no sign of ever being a gravity clock or of having a different movement. The dial has a centre ring that in an original alarm would have been blank but here is decorated. It seems unlikely to me that this was not made as it is, but I can't guarantee that.

I agree the Victorians got into converting English ones in a big way, and when they ran out of old ones made new. I would think this is simply the French making it for an English market.

8. Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #8 Chris Radano, Nov 25, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    Look at the side pillars, especially at the top under the frets, and bottom above the feet. That's a nice chunk of brass, would be expensive to reproduce. I also think the chapter ring could be old. I get your point about the center engraving...Looks like Tudor rose, but not quite right, still well done. Also, it has the authentic proportions. Fun debate, I see the lines of reproduced and recycled being blurred. To me, it's English made, with the movement imported. At least they could have put an English hammer, the French hammer looks too small. Notice where the bell strap meets the back post is missing a pin? Looks like you have heavy brass which to me is old.

9. Duane Deppen

NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2018
    It says FRANCE on top, then Made in France. Thanks.

20181121_082526.jpg

10. Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  11. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

They did well with that matching up winding arbours

12. Duane Deppen

NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2018
    I like the debate. I also found about 20 practice etchings under the chapter ring. It looked as if the engraver practiced some of the strokes before committing to a visible area of the clock.

13. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    those are always fun

14. Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Maybe that has something to do with the choice of movement for this lantern clock. They didn't have to drill winding holes through the dial. Although now we realize the dial center is probably later. But a proper lantern clock doesn't have winding holes. I still think a lantern clock with with a twin fusee movement wound through the dial is perfectly OK.

15. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

We have to be grateful to the Victorians. Without their enterprise many clocks would have been lost to scrap, and even though we don't have those movements it has enabled people to trace makers and styles of case and engraving.

16. Ticktocktime100

Ticktocktime100 Registered User

Nov 11, 2012
    Student
    France
    Country Flag:
    Hi,
    A fine clock. It appears to have a typical French "carriage" type mouvement. I'd date it to around 1900 given the "Made in France" marking which was introduced around that time. The clock is in the style of earlier lantern clocks as has been stated above.
    Regards.

17. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    There are quite a number of repro lantern clocks that were made with spring driven movements - Smiths in particular made a heap, although this doesn't seem to be one of them