Free Bone Escutcheon

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by gleber, Mar 26, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Our good forum friend, Burkhard Rasch, offered to send me a bone escutcheon to replace a missing one on a recently acquired clock that came without one, as seen here: https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?140798-Usual-Questions-about-a-Jerome-Darrow.

Unfortunately for me, the escutcheon was too wide and if I narrow it up, I will probably cut into the keyhole. Fortunately for you, if you would like/need it, I will pay Burkhard's kindness forward and send it to you. Here is a picture. The escutcheon is 2" tall by 1-1/16" wide by 3/32" thick (50.8 x 26.99 x 2.38 mm). The keyhole is 5/8" tall (15.87 mm).

If you would like it, reply or PM me.

Tom 20170325_155706.jpg

2. tom427cid

tom427cid Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Cabinetmaker,clock repair
    Moultonborough,NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Tom,
    Generally when I replace a missing escutcheon(bone or Ivory) I first fit the diamond to the existing recess. Once that is done then I slowly and carefully establish the keyhole. Reason being that the pin in the lock sometimes is not centered.
    If you need a piece of bone let me know,I have some piano keys that are just about the correct thickness.
    tom

3. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Tom. That sounds like good advice. In this case, the diamond and keyhole were precut when Burkhard sent it to me. I'm not complaining, it was a generous offer.

Piano keys? Hmm? Hadn't thought about using one of those. I am away on travel, so I don't know the size of my diamond, but it is smaller than the dimensions I listed above for this escutchion. I'll PM you my info, but it may be a few days based on my travel schedule.

Tom

4. tom427cid

tom427cid Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Cabinetmaker,clock repair
    Moultonborough,NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No problem.
    tom

5. MartinM

MartinM Registered User
    Donor

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you need something thicker, look for "Bone folders" on the auction sites.