Franz Hermle & Sons movement strike and chime issue

legosnell

Nov 5, 2020
Country
I have a Franz Hermle & Sons small Mantel Clock that is probably a late 30s to 40s clock. First Hermle I have ever worked on. It runs good but won't chime and it's just a single chime or gong type at 1/2 hour and hour. It seems to go thru all the proper steps except for when the lifting lever drops off of the Center Cam and I'm not sure if the terminology is the same here with the Hermle as other clocks but same principle I think. When the lifting lever drops off of the center cam, it doesn't seem to drop all the way down, which seems to prevent the strike from continuing or even beginning. It drops but maybe needs to drop another 1/8" to 1/4" down. If I help it move down the rest of the way, then the chiming cycle begins and works as it should. The only spring I find is just a straight across spring piece at the top of the movement which doesn't really seem to be in contact with the lever, to help push it down. Is there a spring that is supposed to help this lifting lever drop down when it comes off the end of the center cam? I've tried to lubricate the moving parts associated with the lever but not doing the trick. I can take pictures if necessary but I've already remounted at this time. It's going to need to be removed from case again anyway. So let me know if we need pictures.

Appreciate it
Larry G

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Yes, pictures will help. There might have been a helper spring on the lever. If so, we might be able to see the remnants of it.

John P

NAWCC Member
Sep 17, 2010
North Carolina
Country
Region
Find out why that lever is not falling all the way down. Is something rubbing or too tight or bent. Without a picture of the movement we cannot determine the type movement you are having this issue with.

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
It appears the clock movement you are working on is a time/strike movement. For clarification, chimes are music and strike is counting of the hours/half hours. Those terms are not interchangeable.
It also seems evident that you are into that repair well beyond your capacities and are looking for a simple solution.
My recommendation is to find a book explaining a similar strike system and learn the step by step process that is involved with that system. From that you will be able to understand which step in the process is missing and properly remedy the situation.
Clock repair is not or should not be a trial and error situation. Many times the “solution” will cause another reason the clock train will not function properly.
The most common cause of clock trains not operating is lack of power and addressing the power situation should be one of the primary trouble shooting processes. If you find the train has ample power, then move on.
This board is populated by repair people of all levels. (As is U Tube, etc) It is plausible that you can get some bad advice and direction on this board.
JMHO
Dick

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hallmawfuedu
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-