Franz hermle clock

Moudhi

Apr 18, 2021
Country
Hello,
I have a franz hermle grandfather clock that my father bought from a furniture shop.
I live in kuwait
The clock is broken and doesn’t work as far as i know.
I tried looking inside through the side acces panel to see if i can pin point the issue exactly.
But i have no knowledge when it comes to clocks
the first thing I figured was that the gear holding one of the cables that carries one of the weights is loose and we can’t attach the weight to it
I wanted to know if i can get any help on maybe figuring out what the clock need.
My father already once contacted someone to help fix the clock but they didn’t seem to know how to.
I have tried taking some photos i hope they are of help

5E9AD28B-6843-43DF-A48E-D514C1F4557C.jpeg D28E1695-FC49-400F-9759-033C3984E688.jpeg 7E20325F-696A-4E26-9A1B-95B1BE63621B.jpeg 84C5A503-F17D-495D-BDC7-DEF5B49261CF.jpeg 97EE317D-636D-4BEB-921B-E7C6722450A4.jpeg EE5BC687-08B1-4F07-A617-74394D3B328B.jpeg E5C527B3-E3B4-418D-9033-0BFDBE21D8F7.jpeg C89EA557-1258-44EA-B395-A77EB71A13FD.jpeg BAB426E8-6BA3-4FF1-BD75-D7A8DAA18103.jpeg

John P

NAWCC Member
Sep 17, 2010
North Carolina
Country
Region
In your last picture we can see the pulley and hook for the strike side. what happens when you try hanging the weight on it? Does it fall? Is the weight in pieces? You may have a broken mainwheel click.
Need more info.

Jaap

Mar 6, 2013
Country
When you look at the attatched youtube movie you can see that barrel for the strike is wound up and down. For shure a click spring problem.

Moudhi

Apr 18, 2021
Country
In your last picture we can see the pulley and hook for the strike side. what happens when you try hanging the weight on it? Does it fall? Is the weight in pieces? You may have a broken mainwheel click.
Need more info.
We actually tried attaching the weight before and it falls. Also, if the mainwheel is indeed broken, how do we fix it? Or do we simply buy an entirely new one?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You have a broken click spring, probably. The good news is that you can remove the cable wheels without taking the movement apart. You'll have to remove the hands, dial and weights and then the movement. A screw under the winding square will come off, and you may see the click spring there. If not, the square pulls out toward the front, and the wheel will drop out. Then you can access the click.
Fixing that part may be all you need to do. Lets hope so! ;)

Reactions: Moudhi

John P

NAWCC Member
Sep 17, 2010
North Carolina
Country
Region
The Q on the rear plate means the movement was made in 2004 so its 17 years old and getting near the end of its service life. A new movement may be a wise move.

This job is not going to be easy for a novice. I have done it many times and for me it would be a breeze. If you are determined to repair it yourself,, here is the procedure, be careful and go slow.

remove the movement and set it down on 2 rolls of packing tape, front side up. Wind up the cable until it locks up the stop works, mark positions of those 2 gears with sharpie pen. Measure how much cable is hanging out of the old mainwheel. You will need this information for reassembly.
Then remove the screw, retainer and stop gear. Pull the winding shaft straight up and out. Remove the pin that retains the plastic cable guard and lift the mainwheel out. Get a new assembly from Butterworth, You may need to remove and reinstall the old cable into the new mainwheel. Get one with cable in it if possible. Put the new mainwheel back in and screw in cable guard pin. Then winding shaft goes in and retainer/screw.
Reset stop works exactly, with same amount of cable hanging out.

After oiling, reinstall the movement, hang the cable (no overlaps in cable) and pulley then the weight . It would be smart to run the clock a week before you put the dial back on to make sure all is well.

Good luck with that job, you can do it even if you have to back up a time or two.
Johnp

Moudhi

Apr 18, 2021
Country
The Q on the rear plate means the movement was made in 2004 so its 17 years old and getting near the end of its service life. A new movement may be a wise move.

This job is not going to be easy for a novice. I have done it many times and for me it would be a breeze. If you are determined to repair it yourself,, here is the procedure, be careful and go slow.

remove the movement and set it down on 2 rolls of packing tape, front side up. Wind up the cable until it locks up the stop works, mark positions of those 2 gears with sharpie pen. Measure how much cable is hanging out of the old mainwheel. You will need this information for reassembly.
Then remove the screw, retainer and stop gear. Pull the winding shaft straight up and out. Remove the pin that retains the plastic cable guard and lift the mainwheel out. Get a new assembly from Butterworth, You may need to remove and reinstall the old cable into the new mainwheel. Get one with cable in it if possible. Put the new mainwheel back in and screw in cable guard pin. Then winding shaft goes in and retainer/screw.
Reset stop works exactly, with same amount of cable hanging out.

After oiling, reinstall the movement, hang the cable (no overlaps in cable) and pulley then the weight . It would be smart to run the clock a week before you put the dial back on to make sure all is well.

Good luck with that job, you can do it even if you have to back up a time or two.
Johnp
Thank you !
I really appreciate your help , so correct me if i am wrong but from what i understood i have two options.
It’s either i get me a new movement and replace the whole thing , or i can just remove the defective wheel from the movement that I already have?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The click spring repair might get you functioning again, if the rest of the movement is still in good condition. It's a gamble.

Moudhi

Apr 18, 2021
Country
The click spring repair might get you functioning again, if the rest of the movement is still in good condition. It's a gamble.
I really wanna give it a shot before jumping on buying a new movement.
I found this spare part would it work as a replacement?

E368BED1-E9FD-4639-985B-8DBDDD0F83B9.png

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
That looks like the right part to fix the strike side. But before investing the money in it, do the other two function OK? In other words, the clock should tick and chime but not strike. If that seems fine, then go for it. Otherwise, the clock has other issues, and the part won't get it running by itself.

Moudhi

Apr 18, 2021
Country
That looks like the right part to fix the strike side. But before investing the money in it, do the other two function OK? In other words, the clock should tick and chime but not strike. If that seems fine, then go for it. Otherwise, the clock has other issues, and the part won't get it running by itself.
To me they seem like they working fine , but the clock is actually not working.
I thought that the broken wheel might be the problem, but if the clock is supposed to work regardless of the one broken wheel ..
Is there a way i can tell if there is other issues in the clock?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You can check the beat and make sure that's right. You will also need to raise the rack on the strike side to be sure the tail of it is not stopping the clock at around the 1:00 position. Other than those two things, you may need a pro to look at it and determine the needs. For the rack, you could probably turn the strike side manually through the strike sequence until it stops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Costin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre