• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's lines in the Columbia, PA area. We are working on the immediate issue with Comcast and are also working on a long term plan that will eliminate our reliance on Comcast. Thank you for your patience.

Franz Hermle 1151-050 problem

trainman115

Apr 18, 2013
Hi I have this Hermle 1151-050 she runs great until 12:20 and then stops seems more at the AM then PM if I start it back up it will run until it hits the 12:20 time would any one know what I can look for Thanks Ed

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
Ed,

Since your problem occurs every 12 hours, my guess is a problem with the moon dial drive. Could it be jamming?

Best,

Dick Feldman

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
What condition is the movement in? If a clock is barely running it's goint to stopwhen any extra power is needed.
If the strike is not working, or stopping, the flat side of the snail will move/butt into the rack tail and stop the clock. This clock is designed with a springy rack tail that should flex out of the way of the snail and allow the clock to keep running as the rack tail slides along the back side of the snail. But this only works when adjusted correctly. And the time train has to be running properly to make this happen.
Willie X

trainman115

Apr 18, 2013
Thanks Willie X The clock is running strong the strike is working and well as the chimes I guess I should look for another movement Thanks again Ed

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Stopage at only one point is nearly always fixable, if the general condition of the movement is good. It's pretty much got to be in the areas Me and DF mentioned.
Willie X

trainman115

Apr 18, 2013
Thanks Willie X I am not that good at fixing clocks just learning if I find another movement you can have this one for free if interested just let me know Ed

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
Hello Ed,

My recommendation is to not replace a clock movement unless it has failed. Yours does not seem to be failing as it does not show any symptoms of a worn movement.

Clock movements are essentially twelve hour machines. Anything that ever is going to happen will happen within a 12 hour period. When a specific event (twenty after twelve) occurs every 12 hours, one can conclude that what is stopping the clock only occurs once every twelve hours.

The only thing that occurs once every twelve hours is the moon dial advancing. Thus, I would speculate the problem is in the moon dial drive. That drive is normally a gear or two or three on the hour tube (front of movement, behind the dial) that moves the moon dial when a pin on one of the gears engages the saw tooth looking gear on the outside of the moon dial.

This can be usually viewed by removing a side panel in the top of the clock case or looking through the side glass depending on the case style.

To trouble shoot this, I would turn the moon dial as though you were setting the moon dial. If the moon dial moves freely, I would turn the minute hand clock wise and watch the moon dial drive. At 12:20 there should be some resistance to moving the hand. Find what is binding at 12:20, eliminate that and your problem should be solved.

Best Regards,

Dick Feldman

trainman115

Apr 18, 2013
Thanks Dick I will look into that for sure last night she ran fine and is still running the only thing is at 9:00 she chimed but did not dong out the hours at 9:00 I sure wish I had some one around here that fixes clocks I would just take it to them for repair I still like to get a 94cm or 85 cm movement this way I can see the pendulum swing back and forth right now I have 114cm and the pendulum is way down in the cabinet I did move it up some and then had to add weight to the bottom to make the time right but it could still be a little higher in order to see it big bucks for a new movement and I cant find a working one on ebay but maybe some day I will find one but for right now she chimes and most of the time dongs out the hours at least I can hear it to me its sweet music and I enjoy it Thanks Again for all the help Ed

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
If it failed to strike, then what Willie said in post #4 is sounding more like a probable cause. The 1151 movements are not that hard to replace, and do come in 3 pendulum lengths. If you buy a different one than what you have, you'll also have to buy the pendulum for it. The movements are not that expensive. A PM to Mark Butterworth might be helpful. He's the man for all things Hermle. You will have to take the gear off your hour pipe and put it in the same place on the new movement. That's what runs the moon dial.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ralphallais
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-