franklin mint york minster cathedral clock kit instructions needed

adam sloan

Sep 26, 2014
Surry hills, Sydney
Country
Region
i picked up one of these kits from ebay and its complete apart from the assembly instructions has anyone got a copy that they could scan and email me please

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Adam,
Most of the folks on this list don't have a clue as what you have there. A few might Google. But you will generally get a better response if you post a picture or two. Willie X

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Adam

I've sent you a p.m. about this - please check your message inbox.

JTD

bearfootdoctor

New User
Oct 2, 2022
Country
Greetings gents. I am also looking for the instructions for this clock. My father built it back in the 80's. I had the original box but sadly it was lost in a fire. I still have the clock and it runs but would like to be able to disassemble it, clean it and re-assemble it for smooth running for at least another 35 years or so. Image included - not mine but exact same kit.

Thanks in advance!

1664752822812.png

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Looks like a Hermle key.

Need useful photos.

Can you remove the movement and make some close-up photos. I'm guessing it's a Hermle in-line skeleton movement.

Willie X

Last edited:

bearfootdoctor

New User
Oct 2, 2022
Country
Seems pretty straightforward. Not planning to take anything apart without the manual to put it back together, though...

If one were to oil this movement, where would the best points to lubricate be?
1664761186982.png

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Your clock definitely needs cleaning and this can only be done after disassembly. No matter what anyone may tell you elsewhere. :)

This job on your clock should be about as straight forward/easy as they come. Just make sure you know how to let down the mainspring before you proceeded.

Cleaning can be done with an old toothbrush, sharpened bamboo skewers (for the holes), a bit of 4-0 steel wool and cotton cloth for the pivots. Use mineral spirits for rinsing and a hair blower for drying.

Oiling will be your last step and it only takes about 4 or 5 drops total. There are 4 wear points on the winding arbor which get about 1/2 drop each and about 5 more arbors in the train which get about 1/4 drop each, plus a tiny amount on the pallets and the cam that lifts the bell hammer.

Until you have a mainspring winder, it's probably best to leave the mainspring as is. You can pop off the cap and add 4 drops of oil to the spring to get you by. If the barrel is badly worn just replace it. and if any of the pivots are rough they will need further attention. You check them with your best fingernail. A worn pivot will always indicate a worn bushing, that to will need further attention.

Note, 0W-20 Mobil-1 synthetic oil is good for clocks and you can apply it with a gem clip or toothpick.

Yes, there is a lot more to it and the best thing you could do is stop running your clock and read a few good beginner level books before you proceed ... There is no "manual" for your clock.

Good luck, Willie X

Last edited:
Reactions: Schatz70

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GallDG
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent