Please ID this Clock Frank Herschede Grandfather Model?

Rick H

May 6, 2019
Country
Hello,
I am new to the forum and and am not very familiar with the technical nomenclature relating to clocks so please excuse any mistakes I may make. I have inherited my great grandfathers Frank Herschede grandfather clock, and I am very curious as to it’s history, but I have had little luck in identifying the model. I have included 3 photos detailing the shape of the case, the face, and the tubes and weights which number 5 and 3 respectively. The clock ceased chiming about a year ago but I believe it played the west minister chimes. The height from the floor to the tip of the ornamental steeple at the very top is about 7’ 2” (with ‘ indicating feet and “ indicating inches). I measured the width and depth of two sections of the clock because the curvature of the front edges makes it difficult to get an exact result. The rectangular box like section near the base measures 1’ 8.25” wide, and 1’ 0.75” deep, while the cabinet section measures 1’ 7.375” wide and 1’ 0.5” deep. On the few documents I found within the clock, mostly receipts for oiling from the local clock shop, the serial number is listed as 30248 and the year 1925, but the number engraved on the inner workings behind the face is 263673. Below this number is a crown while a list of patents is engraved above, with the last patent listed as Jan 4th - 21. Unfortunately that’s about all the useful information I have been able to gather. I really appreciate any help or expertise you could offer in this matter.
Thank you very much for your time!
Rick H

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
Hello Rick,
A belated welcome to the NAWCC's Message Board.
You have a very nice heirloom there. It is Herschede's model No. 270 said to be in the style of 18th Century English. My reference (Tran Duy Ly's book Longcase Clocks and Standing Regulators Part 1: Machine Made Clocks" page 266 has it roughly from circa 1930, but as you note, your clock's serial number indicates that the movement was manufactured in 1925 so I'd go with that.
Very nice indeed. Hope that helps fill in a blank or two for you.
Regards,
Bruce

Reactions: Rick H

Rick H

May 6, 2019
Country
Thank you very much for your expertise Bruce! I really appreciate your help! Cheers!

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boostedbox
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool