Francis M Moore ships chronometer

clocknut

Dec 12, 2003
farm1.static.flickr.com
My friend just received a present in the mail form a friend of his,which turned out to be a Francis m Moore ships chronometer Whish is a fusee drive with maintaining power. It is fixed with a floating balance assembler some what like the hermele. It has three dials one large 11 1/2" which is for the minutes and then 2 small ones for the hours and secounds.I have it her to overhaul and would like to know some history about it.
I'll try to post a picture .Thanks
Haroldhttp://hometown.aol.com/clocknut44/images/ship%20fusee1.jpg

clocknut

Dec 12, 2003
farm1.static.flickr.com
My friend just received a present in the mail form a friend of his,which turned out to be a Francis m Moore ships chronometer Whish is a fusee drive with maintaining power. It is fixed with a floating balance assembler some what like the hermele. It has three dials one large 11 1/2" which is for the minutes and then 2 small ones for the hours and secounds.I have it her to overhaul and would like to know some history about it.
I'll try to post a picture .Thanks
Harold View attachment 303

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
Interesting photo of your friend's chronometer. Such a large diameter face is truly unique. I don't personally have a good reference of chronometer makers but Francis M. Moore is not cited in any reference I have at hand.

But your inference that the balance resembles one used on some Hermle clocks, while true in the simplest terms, strikes a dischord in the mind of anyone even casually knowing about marine chronometers. That both have a helical balance spring is the sole likeness and at that the likeness ends abruptly.

The helical hairspring, although used by Harrison is said to have been patented by Arnold who proliferated the use of the helical balance spring in marine chronometers and that was a long time ago.

The floating balance patented by Hettich ca 1950 and used in many Hermle and Urgos clock movements does employ a unique helical hair spring, but the wire suspension technique doesn't lend itself to the detent escapement needed by the marine chronometer.

Again, a very interesting marine chronometer and we'd like to see photos of the movement. Please share more photos.

clocknut

Dec 12, 2003
farm1.static.flickr.com
Les I didn't mean to imply that the hermele bal. was any thing at all close to the quality of this bal. just that it had a helical spring in the shape of that to let people understand the fisical shape of it.I started to disassemble the works for overhaul and I removed the plateform with bal. and it was so heavy I just had to weight it ,it is 12 onces.
I will post more as I work on it and try to post more pictures.Thereis a label on thein side of the case that reads B.Chevalier at 264 upper street Isington
est. 1850 makers of chronometer clock and watch cases
also air tight case and shop fitter.http://hometown.aol.com/clocknut44/images/ships%20fisee%20works2.jpg

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
It is really an interesting piece. The style of chronometer with the balance on a platform like a carriage clock was used almost exclusively on mantel pieces rather than ship's chronometers.

I would love to see some closeups of the escapement if you can furnish them.

Frank Menez

Deceased
Jul 11, 2003
Somersworth NH
Country
Region
Chronometer Makers of the World by Tony Mercer revised edition--

Moore, Francis M. 114 and 120 High Street Belfast,1859 ; 23 Eden Quay,Dublin,1882; 102 High Street Belfast,1880

Used Poole's auxiliary. Poole movements;Mercer movements,1869-73;Kullberg movements ,1869-77

Britten lists a Francis Moore of Ferrybridge 1775. See J. Moore(brother) . Adjuster of Iron ships,compasses, time signals from Greenwich Observatory. Chromometer maker to the Admirialty. Watchmaker , Optician and Clockmaker. By Appointment Meteorological agent to the Lords of the Privy Council for Trade.

Frank Menez

Does this chronometer have a serial number?

clocknut

Dec 12, 2003
farm1.static.flickr.com
Tom as I get the works torn apart I will galdly post more pictures.Tha platform is out but not disassembled yet and the works is still together.I did notice something I thought was different when I removed the plateform to let the power down the barrel was relaxed and there was still two or three windings left on the fusee,Which to me would say that it can not run for a full week.so I will have to check that out and make sure every thing is ok there so I can set up the winding indicator.Also I have not found a serial number yet.I was told it was a ships cronometer but it could very well be a mantel clock,I really don't no.
Harold

clocknut

Dec 12, 2003
farm1.static.flickr.com
Well I have been working on the ships clock aka mantel? and it seems to be a very nice clock. I believe that alot of it is gold plated ,all the main wheels are anchored to the hub by three screws instead of the usual staking. The bal is very unusual as it unlocks the excapement on every other direction of the bal.in stead of each time the bal turns. the sec bit which is driven off the crown wheel shaft then beats secounds.The only way to adjust it for rate is by the bal weights ,whish two of them are threaded.the bal. fork is spimply a sring wire with a jewel attached to it and locks the excapement to allow the escape wheel travel in one direction only there for only beats in one direction. This thing is really nice even the barrel and cover is engine turned. I have taken a alot of pictures and I hope I can get some of them posted for you.
Thanks
Harold

clocknut

Dec 12, 2003
farm1.static.flickr.com
Frank
I aim sorry I forgot to tell you I did not find a serial number but I did find that all the main parts had tree punch makers in a triangle pattern,which could mean that possible this was the thrid one?and also Frank thanks for all the info,that was great.So do think this clock would have been made by the Francis Moore of Ferrybridge 1775,or the later one of 1880?
Thanks again to every one.
Harold

C

chasbaz

Harold,
I would say that by the style of clockwork and the lack of ornamentation it is more likely to be the later one.
Charles

clocknut

Dec 12, 2003
farm1.static.flickr.com
Yes I was wondering the same. The dial reads Dublin & Belfast.The latter maker was stated as being from there,But doesn't say that he was a chornometer maker to the Admirialty?
The screws and hands and the way things where machined also makes me think it was the latter one,But then again what the heck do I no.LOL
My friend ,that owns it is working on the case and the case seemed to be finished in a black enamal or something ,which the previous owner tryed to remove.Does anyone know the best way to redo the black as it was,in the same way as they did it?
Its really a shame that it has to be painted as its a very nice mahogany under all that paint.
When he gets the case finished and I get the works installed I'll post a picture..
Thanks
Harold

C

chasbaz

Your friend would have to assess whether there was any sign of a finish on the mahogany under the paint. If so the paint might need to be kindly stripped off. Another possibility is that the case was ebonized, which would mean it was finished with black shellac. That can also be detected as it softens with alcohol. If so perhaps it became distressed so paint was put on to restore(?) the finish. In that case the paint should be removed and the case repolished with the black shellac [i.e. French polished]

clocknut

Dec 12, 2003
farm1.static.flickr.com
Chasbas
I might have used the word paint loosely It could very well be shellac. I never did anything at all with the case and I just saw it as beening( black)I havn't ask my friend about that part of it. last I talked to him he was replacing the missing veineer,and hadn't started on the refinish yet.I'll ask him.Thanks for the info.
Harold

uncletom

Feb 23, 2006
Country
Region
I know this is an old post but thought you might find this link interesting,Tom

Tom, I edited out your auction link. You can repost this information after the auction ends. Message board rules don't allow any links to ongoing auctions.
Harold

Last edited by a moderator:

itspcb

NAWCC Member
Aug 6, 2006
UK
Country
Region
I see no picutres in this thread.

It almost certainly Moore of Dublin and belfast circa 1880. Please be ultra careful with the spring detent, they are very easily broken, if you have taken it apart and its still in one piece you are lucky! Most folks forget about the maintaining power and that can wreck your detent. The original case would likely have been mahogany and not painted.

The label you have will have been added by a Ships supply company who serviced it sometime when the Ship passed thru London.

I have a mantel clock by him and here is a picture. Also a picture of a chronometer case from the same era.

Now let me see why I do not see pictures

Peter 25550.jpg 25551.jpg

itspcb

NAWCC Member
Aug 6, 2006
UK
Country
Region
oops 4 years out of date!

Wonder what happened to it ??

Peter

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia