Francis Abbott Double Fusee

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by LiamJ, Aug 12, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. LiamJ

LiamJ Registered User

Sep 25, 2011
    Laxey
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My newest acquisition today was this enormous Double Fusee Bracket Clock by Francis Abbott of Derby. It measures a huge 26'' to the top of the pineapple making it the tallest bracket clock in my collection.

The case is inlayed with brass and has burl mahogany veneers.

I have done a little research on Francis Abbott and he certainly had a varied life! Born in 1799 he apprenticed as a clock maker. In the early 1830s he set up his own business in Derby. Shortly afterwards he moved to Manchester and I believe he traded from No.50 Market Street.

The link below gives a fascinating insight into the varied life Francis had and the important contributions he made to astronomy in later life.

https://books.google.im/books?id=XoeiJxMmXZ8C&pg=PA135&lpg=PA135&dq=francis+abbott+derby&source=bl&ots=-7jxGFskOS&sig=ZLAHEP23T2FVLz_P2FxihOZEbVc&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v:^nepage&q=francis%20abbott%20derby&f=false

I hope you enjoy the above article and the pictures of this remarkable piece of history.

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I like the signature on the movement. Most 18th and 19th century bracket clocks seem to be around half a metre high, the smaller ones usually go at a premium.

3. LiamJ

LiamJ Registered User

Sep 25, 2011
    Laxey
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Nick, yes the signature is rarther nice and ornate. All five of the pillars are also mounded and engraved with simple detailing.

4. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice clock.

How long is the pendulum? If the clock is 26 inches high the pendulum must be longer than normal?

5. LiamJ

LiamJ Registered User

Sep 25, 2011
    Laxey
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The pendulum is quite long Dean, it measures 17" in total from the bottom of the bob to the top of the suspension spring.

6. P.Hageman

P.Hageman Registered User

Jul 20, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    This clock shouts out QUALITY, like it very much. Congrats!

7. LiamJ

LiamJ Registered User

Sep 25, 2011
    Laxey
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you all. Sadly there is one small problem. The hinge was only stuck onto the bezel with some kind of resin. For safety I have taken it off as I didn't want it to fall off!! Are hinges usually silver soldered onto the bezel surrounds?

8. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't know, but I would guess riveted on spun bezels, probably cast on cast bezels. Somebody will have worked on a few of that age.

9. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Congrats, a beautiful clock.

10. P.Hageman

Jul 20, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Yep, seen several which were original soft soldered to the spun bezel. The reason for using resin ( which I also did when necessary) was not to heat up the bezel with the risk of damaging the old glass.

11. LiamJ

LiamJ Registered User

Sep 25, 2011
    Laxey
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you, that would make sense then. The glass in the bezel is original so I definitely don't want to damage it. I take it there is no easy way of removing the glass to carry out the fix?

12. P.Hageman

Jul 20, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    If so, I would be happy to hear.