Frances Rubie Watch Info

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by ironwood, Feb 3, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The new version of the Forum is coming! This major upgrade of the Forum will take place in the early hours of November 2 and should be completed by noon. There will be no access to the Forum while the upgrade is taking place.
  1. ironwood

ironwood Registered User

Sep 12, 2006
    Hi, ironwood again. I also just aquired this 10 size Frances Rubie. I would appreciate any info anyone may know about this watch. Serial # 50357. It is one of the nicest movements I have found to date. In a beautiful case marked only with two stars. Thanks in advance for any help. ironwoodhttp://www.reddogdesign.com/auction/rubie.jpg

2. John F

John F Registered User

Sep 28, 2001
    Sweet watch - first run Frances Rubie. Looks to be in very nice condition. It should date from 1868. Not a heckuva lot of these made.

3. ironwood

ironwood Registered User

Sep 12, 2006
    John, Thanks for your reply. It is a beautiful watch. How many were made in the first run? What do you make of the two stars on the case side by side like ** ? Thanks again.

4. John F

John F Registered User

Sep 28, 2001
    I believe there were just 3 runs of Grade 23, each run was 1000 movements, for a total of 3000.

No idea on the case markings. If you could post a picture, someone might recognize it.

5. ironwood

ironwood Registered User

Sep 12, 2006
    Here is a picture of the mark on the hunter case. It is just two stars side by side. It is marked on the inside front and also the same mark on the inside rear of the case. Has anyone ever seen this mark before? Thanks again for the info.

ironwood 22.jpg

6. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe only the first run of Frances Rubie was actually produced. There is an extensive discussion of this strange grade on the Elginwatches web site.

The name was also used on some Grade 201 movements around the turn of the century.

Attached Files:

7. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ironwood - does your Francis Rubie have a timekeeping problem? I notice that it has a replacement regulator with the pins in the wrong position (assuming that Tom's is correct). If it is not keeping time, a proper regulator should be found rather than adjusting the timing of the balance. I expect a regulator from one of the lower-grade examples could be used.

8. ironwood

ironwood Registered User

Sep 12, 2006
    No problem with timekeeping. Do we know which is the correct regulator? Thanks for the help. ironwood

9. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Judging from the degree of finish on Tom's example I would think that is the correct regulator for a higher grade movement. Also, the regulator pins are usually closer to the hairspring stud than on yours.