Four hole square collet wrench for tapping small threads

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by THTanner, Feb 2, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I chanced upon this vintage four square hole collet wrench for tapping small threads. Overall it is 3 inches long. You loosen the thumb screw and slip the tap into the proper size square and tighten the screw. Works well with the sub 2 mm taps

ColletTool.JPG

2. John MacArthur

John MacArthur Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 13, 2007
    TH - Are you sure that is not a tiny adjustable die set? I have one that appears identical, and it has what looks like die threads in the little holes.
    Johnny

3. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I suspect you could be correct about what this was originally - and I was wondering the same - but the square holes in this one have no sign of threads at this time and it came with some taps that fit - perhaps a well abused adjustable die set that ended up a tap wrench instead of the die for the set.

4. John MacArthur

NAWCC Member

Feb 13, 2007
    I'll try to get a closeup of mine to post. I've never seen another like it.
    Johnny

5. John MacArthur

NAWCC Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Here are pics of mine:
    DSCN1209A.jpg DSCN1210A.jpg
    FWIW, I've never used it - It never fit anything I needed to match, and I have too many more modern taps and dies, both larger and smaller.
    Johnny

THTanner likes this.
  6. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice - same item - thanks for the clarification - The square holes in mine are either totally worn from use and abuse or perhaps simply filed out to be a good square to hold the taps with no wiggle. It was probably a complete set of taps and dyes when new and only the taps survived. When I picked it up the three taps were in place in the square holes

It works great as a tap wrench now ;)

7. John MacArthur

NAWCC Member

Feb 13, 2007
    I never had any taps, only the adjustable die shown. If anybody has ever used one of these, please speak up and let us know how it worked.
    Johnny