Found Old Silver Key wind watch

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by JOE1225US, Sep 19, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JOE1225US

JOE1225US Registered User

Sep 19, 2019
    Country Flag:
    #1 JOE1225US, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2019
    Found old silver key wind watch. Only clue to identity is inscription Ancore 15 Rubis Argulles with a serial number with a serial number of 7629 on both the silver case, and plate of movement. It has Roman numerals, in Black, and small red numbers over it. See the pictures. Any Idea of manufacture model etc would be appreciated.

Dial.JPG Inscription.JPG Movement.JPG

2. 4thdimension

4thdimension Registered User

Oct 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    Sorry, but the pics didn't come through for me. All I can add so far is that your watch has 15 jewels.-Cort

3. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would take a guess that it is Swiss
    I cannot see the pictures either

4. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Welcome to the board Joe.

I can't see your photos either. If you use the little camera icon in the bar of symbols above you may do better.

JTD

5. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    yes if you click on from pc under the message box you fill in for your post the pics will be uploaded for all to see.

6. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Joe, and welcome to the forum,

Nick's suggestion about the attachment of pictures will help I'm sure, then we can see what you have, but it's clear, as already commented, that it's a Swiss watch.

The inscription on the inner cover, 'Ancre 15 Rubis Arguilles' refers to the escapement type, (a lever, or 'anchor'), the number of jewel bearings and other parts in the movement, (not necessarily all actually there), and the identification of the central hole being for adjustment of the hands, (the other hole is for winding). Serial numbers are quite meaningless on these watches, in the absence of any surviving records or any indication of who sold it or assembled it. The concepts of 'manufacturer' and 'model' don't apply to these watches. They were made in Switzerland, mostly in the 19th century, by a complicated system of outworkers, assemblers, commissioners and agents, and exported in huge numbers at relatively low prices to the rest of the world.

Regards,

Graham

7. Les harland

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Are there any Hallmarks on the inside of the case?
    E.g bird or bear

8. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    In the first post, I have uploaded images posted by Joe. I believe they are correct.

musicguy likes this.
  9. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Joe,

Thanks to Steven's intervention we can see your pictures now. They do indeed show a Swiss watch with a tangential lever escapement, in what is apparently a silver case, (although the Swiss standard was only 0.800, so it wouldn't be classed as silver in every country). It probably dates to sometime in the third quarter of the 19th century, and the Swiss national hallmarking system, (which used the grouse, bear and other wildlife to signify metal purity), wasn't introduced until 1880, so your case may not have these marks, which in any event didn't include exact dating information. The inner back, where the engraving and the two holes are, isn't solid silver but plated brass, which is quite common in these watches.

The jewel count of 15 is plausible, providing the visible jewels on the top of the movement are all matched by others on the lower plate, which unfortunately wasn't always the case.

Regards,

Graham

10. JOE1225US

Sep 19, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Firstly, I want to thank all those who responded. I am getting a little bitten by the watch bug. I have already decided NOT to sell this, but to have it serviced and keep. Here is a picture of the back if it helps in identification at all.

IMG_2954.JPG

11. Les harland

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Joe
    I am afraid there is no known cure for the effects of being bitten by the Watch Bug, Clock Bug or both
    No one here wants to be cured

musicguy likes this.
  12. JOE1225US

Sep 19, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Is this picture of the back cover any help?

IMG_2955.JPG

13. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The watch bug is very contagious, be warned, lol.

14. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Joe,

I'm afraid not, the external decoration doesn't tell us anything, it's what's on the inside that can often give clues, but in this instance, being Swiss, even that information can be very scanty.

Regards,

Graham