• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Found Another One

TimWK

Nov 20, 2019
Anthem, AZ
Country
Region
Found this single weight and don't know anything about it. No name or number on the movement. The dial is marked A. Schlcfinger Wien. It is small about 40" tall and has a 6" dial. The case seems to be in decent shape. It runs well and keeps the correct time. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Best Regards

IMG_1020.JPG IMG_1021.JPG IMG_1023.JPG IMG_0999.JPG IMG_1009.JPG IMG_1012.JPG IMG_1007.JPG

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
The name you quote as being on the dial is not a name or even a German word. I think that you are misreading the name Schlesinger. Sadly this site is not working properly at the moment, so I cannot enlarge your photos to make sure, but I am fairly sure that it is Schlesinger.

This may be Anton Schlesinger, listed by Abeler as working in Vienna in the second half of the 19th century.

It's a very fine looking clock.

JTD

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
The name you quote as being on the dial is not a name or even a German word. I think that you are misreading the name Schlesinger. Sadly this site is not working properly at the moment, so I cannot enlarge your photos to make sure, but I am fairly sure that it is Schlesinger.

This may be Anton Schlesinger, listed by Abeler as working in Vienna in the second half of the 19th century.

It's a very fine looking clock.

JTD
It is A. Schlesinger, Wien.

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Loomes has one year for A. Schlesinger Wien at 1875.
Which looks right on for your clock.
Maybe not so obvious, but the hands are a more simple design. I think that might indicate the regulator was used in a more public or commercial capacity.

TimWK

Nov 20, 2019
Anthem, AZ
Country
Region
Thanks JDT, Steven Thornberry & Chris Radano for your Answer on the name on the dial. Can you tell me if the name is painted on or fired in the porcelain? I don't want clean the dial and have the name wash away.
Best Regards

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Thanks JDT, Steven Thornberry & Chris Radano for your Answer on the name on the dial. Can you tell me if the name is painted on or fired in the porcelain? I don't want clean the dial and have the name wash away.
Best Regards
Probably painted, but not certain. You can still clean the dial if you are gentle.

Anton Schlesinger worked in the Rotenturmstrasse, at house No. 10, it is an elegant shopping street not far from the St. Stephen's Cathedral.

JTD

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Well you will see some of the signatures partially rubbed off of dials. Probably quite a few unsigned dials had signatures completely rubbed off.
I used an appropriate wax suitable for antiques, such as Renaissance or Behlen Blue Label. I apply a SMALL clump of wax applied with a t shirt rag, careful not to rub (so a little heavy on the first coat). Then gently rub the SMALL clump of wax over the dial surface with as little applied pressure as possible. Then after allowing several seconds to set, gently buff with a brushing type motion (the idea is the least amount of pressure as necessary). Then reapply 2 or 3 more coats in similar fashion. Always test a small inconspicuous area first.
Usually I don't clean this type of dial. The wax will lift off any surface dirt. This is only what I do. There are other ways to achieve the same result.
Or, simply don't touch the dial.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Now that I have been able to open and enlarge the photo of the dial, I can see that the name is already partly worn away. So, yes, it is painted on or I don't think it would have worn like this.

I use Renaissance wax a lot and like it. I have never used it in quite the way Chris Radano suggests, but it sounds like a good method and if you follow the method he suggests, you should do well.

JTD

TimWK

Nov 20, 2019
Anthem, AZ
Country
Region
Thanks JTD & Chris Radano for your input. I will try the wax method mentioned in Chris's post.
Best Regards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3号缐
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller