Found a new and unique Ansonia?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by bytes2doc, May 4, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bytes2doc

bytes2doc Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 31, 2009
    Physician
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I found this Ansonia ready for the trash bin and completely restored it. Still having trouble with the timing.

In my search I found the case to be close to the Lisbon. It is numbered 1014 in Tran’s book. When looking at that picture it is an exact copy in both the case design and the artwork.

However mine has the lion head adornment on each side. Also the book picture shows an exposed escarpment, which mine does not have.

Anyone seen one of these listed anywhere? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Barry

C1F1611D-E6B9-4453-B047-F8EA7DB56BDB.jpeg FF7BDB7A-1669-4BD3-87E5-B334F3971871.jpeg B918D970-704C-4A7E-8DA3-0424BCACEB26.jpeg

Dave T likes this.
  2. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Yours is a variation of the pictured model. This is very common. WIllie X

3. bytes2doc

bytes2doc Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 31, 2009
    Physician
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Is the twelve year difference between the date on the movement and Tran’s book reasonable?

4. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    The date on the movement is a patent date that appeared on Ansonia movements for a number of years and has nothing to do with the date the clock was produced. Below is the patent document. Moreover, although Tran shows the clock from the 1894 catalogue, it might have been offered a few years before or after.

259505 W. Davies Striking Mechanism.pdf

Attached Files:

5. Joseph Bautsch

Joseph Bautsch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's also not unusual for a particular clock style to be produced over a longer period than twelve years. The manufacturer over time may change trim as in your case the lions head. While the manufactures had to be innovative with clock styles to remain competitive they also did not try to fix something that ain't broke. If they had a style that was popular and sold well it would be produced for many years or untill the sales did not make it profitable.