FOUND! 2nd Elgin 12s Illinois Admiral Evans known to exist!

DoughBoyWatches

Jan 5, 2021
Country
After reading stan's book I have been on the hunt for one of these and finally found one. I originally saw the Benson version but Stan beat me to the punch on it. Glad he got it rather than someone else at least he will put it in his 3rd book, if there is going to be one, which I hope there is. I spared no expense to get this and when i got it in I closely examined it and this seems to me to indeed be an original 1917 12s admiral evans....I have almost every case design in every size from the Illinois watch case co. and when comparing it to other illinois models the lugs are drilled in the same manner, same lug design, same original pin bars, no tooling or soldering marks on the case tube or lugs. I also purchased a 12s pocket watch version of the case, and by looking at the design there would be no way to shorten it so the tube could fit without drilling it out and widening the diameter. So suffices to say it could not be done without soldier in order to fill in the gaps created when using a smaller diameter tube. I understand there is a difference between jobbers and the manufacturers and since I also have a decent collection of conversions all of them yield some form of solder around the tube. Some cases were done in a much better fashion than others and may give the appearance of being original but the difference between a manufacturers methods compared to a jobber is always evident. This is my research as a collector but I have been in touch with the museum on getting it officially authenticated, maybe if anyone on here knows anyone else I can contact on this please let me know. Thanks

62905488316--07C5F872-1147-4E55-8204-161B1696D903.jpg

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Welcome to the NAWCC forum!

Rob

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
That is awesome! Always thought those cases would look great on a strap, but never realized there actually was one. I have to get Stan's Elgin book.

Welcome to the forum! Stick around!

Reactions: DoughBoyWatches

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny_foskey
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre