• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Eureka forrestville eureka

Walker McVea

NAWCC Member
May 17, 2010
Does anyone know where I can get information on the forrestville Eureka "knock off".

Walker McVea

NAWCC Member
May 17, 2010
This is made in Germany around 1950 and is electric like the original Eureka clocks but with solonoids, etc. I can't make it work and need information on the electrics of this clock. Thank you, Walker McVea

Hans Vrolijk

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2005
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
www.vrolijk-clocks.nl
Country
Region
The best book about Eureka is written by Dr. Alan Shenton., called "The Eureka Clock" Twickenham Great Britain1999. However, it contains just information how to repair the English Eureka.
The Forestville Eureka was mains driven and had the nickname "House Burner" because they were not provided with a fuse.
So you are warned now.

Walker McVea

NAWCC Member
May 17, 2010
Forestville Eureka Clocks

John, do you know anything about the electric's of the 1950's "Eureka" knockoff made in Germany for the Forrestville Clock Co. I have one and would like to get it running and have been told they are house burners, so for me to be careful. I like this clock not as mauch as my real Eureka but it needs to be fixed and safely running as all clocks should. Any help appreciated. Walker McVea

Last edited by a moderator:

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
Re: Questions for Eureka clock collectors, if any happen to frequent this board.....

McVea. Your query was appended to a six-year old thread. 'Doubt that Hanson will reply. Moderator should request that you open a new thread about the Forestville Eureka Houseburner.

I have seen at least one and it was more like a toy when compared to the orignial 1912 English Eureka battery clock and the German models made in the 1920's both very nice examples.

Walker McVea

NAWCC Member
May 17, 2010
forrestville eureka houseburner

I have a forrestville "eureka" from the 1950's made in Germany and the electric's is more modern than my original Eureka but I want to restore it anyway. Can anyone direct me to any help with this matter. I have taken it apart and understand how it works, which is much like the original eureka, but I don't understand the capacitors, etc in the clock. Any help is much appreciated. I would also like for it not to burn my house down when completed. Walker McVea

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
Re: forrestville eureka houseburner

The Forrestville Eureka clock, in my opinion is not one I would recommend restored to "original" because of it's "house burner" track record much like the "Puja" clock.

However, it is my understanding that some have been restored to functional and visual original appearance by removing the "house-burner" electric apparatus and converting the clock to operate on 3 volts DC from a pair of dry cells.

If you would post photos of the internals of the clock you have questions about, I am certain that help is "right here" on the Message Board.