Forrestville Double OG

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Jim DuBois, Jun 1, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So what do you do when you have too many clocks? Why, buy more of course. This was my 3rd clock of today. These are not too common but the ones that surface are usually Forestvill made clocks. As is this one. But, other than having lost most of its original finish to excessive cleaning or light stripping, it is quite original. Nice overall patina remains. Hands, dial, mirror (wonderfully wrinkled) and decent label, and a reasonable price, it came home with me too.

20190601_111149 (2).jpg 20190601_111232.jpg

Russell Dickson likes this.
  2. jere dorough

jere dorough Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    nice looking clock...i have a forrestville clock with similar dial marking...they left the "e" off of the end of their name :???:... I've seen pictures of other forrestville dials the same way...anyone know why:???:

3. Jim DuBois

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    and they spelled it with 1 "R" too....why? Good question. I think it didn't matter to a lot of people, not everyone could even read back then. So, close was good enough? I have a day journal (partial copy) from an 18th-century cabinetmaker who spelled a word 3 different ways in one day's entry, then spelled it the 4th way the next entry.

4. Russell Dickson

Russell Dickson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice find Jim, you have a good eye, the case looks pretty nice to me and the dial, glass and mirror look original. So much for only have 30 clocks in your house Does it have an eight day movement in it or is it a 30 hr?. :emoji_relaxed:

5. Jim DuBois

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is 8 day and overall pretty decent. Pretty much original other than the overcleaned (IMO) case and missing its dust caps. I would rather have black and a bit crusty finish but sometimes you need to take it as and enjoy.

Russell Dickson likes this.
  6. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I think the correct spelling is Forestville (one "R"), as on your clock, though I'm ready to be proved wrong. After the "Forestvill" on your clock is a comma, possibly to indicate the intentional omission of a letter(?). The letter may have been omitted to make it all fit into a neat, symmetrical little semi-circle. And, as you say, "it [probably] didn't matter to a lot of people", and the rest probably didn't even notice.

7. Jim DuBois

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I defer to the good work of Dr. Taylor and Ken Roberts. And like others, I manage to spell entirely too many things wrong, like here! I can spell Forestville at least 2 or 3 ways in my own thread.

Forestville Book Cover.jpg 20190601_161524.jpg

8. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Always did like those 8 day double door Forestvill(e) ogees. Still have never owned one.

I have had clocks by that maker, including an 8 day single door ogee and a big sleigh front, where the wooden dials had Forestvill without the "e". This is a well documented misspelling. For example, see:

https://docs.nawcc.org/Bulletins/1980/articles/1988/256/256_413.pdf

and

https://docs.nawcc.org/Bulletins/1980/articles/1985/237/237_461.pdf

Not a rarity by any means. As JD indicated below, a common explanation is that spellings of words and place names weren't always weren't standardized and literacy may not have been as widespread. As a side comment, I believe that the rates of illiteracy in those days in certain populations may be overstated. My personal theory is that reading was important to New Englanders and other groups that eschewed various forms of religious iconography. Reading was important as they had to be able to read and learn the bible.

Yes, you are living up to your name of "Mr. Ogee" :rolleyes:

RM

Jim DuBois likes this.
  9. Jim DuBois

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is the scary part " Born 1805, died 1872. Self-taught, having had only 6 weeks’ schooling. In his 19th year he set up as a clock and watchmaker between Shannonville and Jeffersonville in Montgomery County." And he was very much an innovator, inventor, and maker of clocks, watches, tower clocks, and lighthouse bell strike mechanisms. But, to your point Bob reading and writing was important. What I still don't understand but greatly appreciate is a large number of documents done in calligraphy style handwriting...document after document.

10. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Yes, sometimes the time spent in formal schooling was rather brief. Look at Abraham Lincoln. Very little & intermittent formal education. Largely self-taught & driven by a lifelong love of learning.

RM