• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Forestville in near original condition

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
Once in a while, a clock will surface in more or less original condition, with few apologies. This clock, while certainly not rare nor a highly sought-after form, has more than a bit of originality going for it. My daughter picked it up for chump change on the second day of an estate sale in Dallas TX. Appears to be the original finish on the case. A bit dirty, a bit crusty, some small veneer chips, but oh so nice to see one that some fair intentioned party has not stripped down to raw wood then tossed on a coat of this or that. Also, the glasses are both worthy of further inspection. The dial, hands, movement, weights, etc are all very good to excellent condition. The label is also in excellent shape, but no photo of that. The daughter has acquired several clocks recently, I fear she has acquired the malady. Don't know if I should feel good or suggest she seek professional help?

20211003_120039 (2).jpg 20211003_120053 (2).jpg 20211003_120050 (2).jpg 20211003_120138.jpg

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
Nice find! Encourage her malady she she learned well from the master.

Andy Dervan

Reactions: Jim DuBois

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Once in a while, a clock will surface in more or less original condition, with few apologies. This clock, while certainly not rare nor a highly sought-after form, has more than a bit of originality going for it. My daughter picked it up for chump change on the second day of an estate sale in Dallas TX. Appears to be the original finish on the case. A bit dirty, a bit crusty, some small veneer chips, but oh so nice to see one that some fair intentioned party has not stripped down to raw wood then tossed on a coat of this or that. Also, the glasses are both worthy of further inspection. The dial, hands, movement, weights, etc are all very good to excellent condition. The label is also in excellent shape, but no photo of that. The daughter has acquired several clocks recently, I fear she has acquired the malady. Don't know if I should feel good or suggest she seek professional help?

View attachment 674730 View attachment 674731 View attachment 674732 View attachment 674733
What a beauty! I see she has acquired her daddy's "eye" as well.

It is a rarity in a certain sense. That rarity is it's wonderful gracefully aged and original condition.

2 wonderful Fenn glasses. Yes, the lower is cracked and I say, so what? It's still great and wouldn't deter me one tiny bit.

And so much for the old oh so very tired and trying often repeated bromide that there are no real antique clocks around and when they are, they are too expensive. Another example that proves that to be hogwash. Yep, may take some looking around and patience, but a clock like this is the reward.

RM

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Wow!! I don't think I've seen the tablets in those color schemes before. They're very attractive, and a nice change. The little bit of the movement that is visible through the dial looks clean - hopefully it's in as nice condition as the case.

Congratulations to your daughter, and thanks to you for sharing.

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
Wow!! I don't think I've seen the tablets in those color schemes before. They're very attractive, and a nice change. The little bit of the movement that is visible through the dial looks clean - hopefully it's in as nice condition as the case.

Congratulations to your daughter, and thanks to you for sharing.
Pat, yes, the tablets are interesting. I don't recall having seen either pattern Fenn glass before. And RM, yes, I recommended she not concern herself at all about the crack in the glass. I offered to arm wrestle her with the clock being the prize if I won, but she wasn't buying that. She might have beat me anyhow.

There were a lot of clocks in the estate sale. The fellow was an NAWCC member, there were some other nice clocks on day two, so it make me wonder what was there on day one. And they wouldn't release the fellows name or maybe they didn't even know it. Sort of sad that good clocks hit the estate market at entirely too cheap of asking prices and they don't sell even then. There were most likely 50 clocks, or more, left late on day two and if I got any good photos I may have spent some money too.

Dick C

Oct 14, 2009
Country
Once in a while, a clock will surface in more or less original condition, with few apologies. This clock, while certainly not rare nor a highly sought-after The daughter has acquired several clocks recently, I fear she has acquired the malady. Don't know if I should feel good or suggest she seek professional help?
Send her my way!

Jerome collector

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2005
Omaha, NE
Country
Region
Beautiful tablets. The one with pale border and gold-dominated central star burst is pictured in the blue Fenn book and in Lucinda Servino's 1986 Bulletin article. The other one isn't in either the red or blue Fenn book or in the Servino article. But I don't think there's any doubt it's a Fenn. You might want to post the two tablets on the thread devoted to Wm Fenn.
Mike

Reactions: Jim DuBois and PatH

captainclock

Mar 4, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Country
Region
You have a very nice example of a mid 19th Century Column and Cornice Clock, I have one of these as well, mine's a Seth Thomas unit and I got mine from my Great-grandparents house when we were cleaning it out and getting it ready to sell, mine unfortunately was in pieces when I got it and was missing its original weights, pendulum bob and winding crank which I had to order all of that stuff put the clock back together myself, mine also has some Origianl Fenn Tablets on it which mine are also of an unusual design, the middle tablet on mine is of a bunch of strawberries on a blue background, and the bottom one is of the Federal Eagle Design.

The two Tablets on this clock remind me of the old Pennsylvania Dutch (Amish) Hex Patterns that you often see on old Amish Quilts, Houses and Barns in Pennsylvania, which makes me wonder if Mr. Fenn didn't get the inspiration for these Tablets from visiting some Amish Communities in Pennsylvania.

Last edited:

T.Cu

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
Country
Region
Hello, If I'm not mistaken the movement in that clock is one of those with the beautiful "hourglass" shaped front plates. (The rear plates being just rectangular.)
And I am jealous about the wonderful condition of that dial. The printing of the name is much better than any I have seen, including my own. (sigh)
It's a wonderful original looking case and the two painted tablets have such a fine matching or complementary "vibe" to them.
Tim

Bill K

Aug 4, 2019
Country
Region
A very nice Forestville indeed. J.C. Brown, hands down, is my favorite manufacturer and his column and cornice clocks like yours show off what makes his clocks special. Maybe not super rare but they really stand out in a room and always attract attention. My sole example is missing its label like so many of Mr. Brown's and someone botch repaired the cornice using a pine board as a base and a certain modern moisture activated glue which shall remain nameless. Took some doing to undo and make right. It is all original and it does have the correct 1.112 type works (Taylor), striking original tablets (though probably not Fenn) and a good face. The NAWCC Bulletin Supplement 18, Spring 1991 has a very informative article by Lee H. Davis concerning clocks of this style. My daughters are starting to appreciate my "enthusiasms" now that they've gotten older but I haven't gotten them to the point where they find prizes like yours has done. Maybe there is hope though! You should be proud, she "done good!"

Reactions: PatH and Jim DuBois

Dave Stelling

Sep 24, 2020
Lake Ontario, New York
Country
Region

View attachment 674730 View attachment 674731 View attachment 674732 View attachment 674733
The middle image of the "Star-Like" pattern, I'm wondering if the usual red/blue/gold paint has faded?
I think I have a very similar tablet on a S. Thomas ogee attributed to Wm Fenn...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heresolong
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-