Forestville grandfather clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by hugo, Jun 1, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. hugo

hugo Registered User

Dec 24, 2012
    Good evening,

I bought this clock today and would like to know more about it. I know it's a Forestville and this company does no longer exists. 1941-1979 from what I read. I couldn't find any numbers on the movement except Made in Germany. Is there a way of knowing the era it was manufactured? I am figuring maybe the 1950's or 1960's? Any information would truly help of figuring the age of this clock. Did the model have a name or is it just Forestville grandfather clock?

Thank you

Hugo

Capture d’écran 2020-06-01 à 23.10.08.png Capture d’écran 2020-06-01 à 23.10.25.png Capture d’écran 2020-06-01 à 23.10.43.png Capture d’écran 2020-06-01 à 23.11.08.png

2. hugo

hugo Registered User

Dec 24, 2012
    I was able to take a better picture of the movement

Capture d’écran 2020-06-02 à 07.42.00.png

3. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Hugo. I have a Blackforest (precursor to Forestville) longcase that is similar but not quite the same as yours. Have you had the movement out of the case, mine is stamped Mauthe on the front? To my knowledge they didn't have model names but who knows. I have a Forestville mantel clock that has a number on the label but no model name. I think your date range is probably correct but I don't know how to narrow it down closer.
    Don

hugo likes this.
  4. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have one just like the posters clock. It has a Jauch movement in it. Its a great looking clock and was very high quality in its time. Mine has a solid mahogany case. I dont have a model name but i would guess the same as you as to the age of it.

hugo likes this.
  5. hugo

hugo Registered User

Dec 24, 2012
    Thank you to the both of you. The only things I could find was Forestville and Made in Germany. I've found a web site that lead me to a Canadian clock museum in Deep River Ontario. I've sent them an email and they are dating the clock around the 1950's- 1960's. Here is the link if ever you would like to go and get further informations for your clocks. It was helpful to me...Home | The Canadian Clock Museum

6. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Hugo. Yes i know the museum well and Allan has helped me on numerous occasions as he is the go to guy for Canadian clocks. I paid 160 for my clock, not running, broken suspension spring, easy fix. Enjoy your gf clock.

hugo likes this.
  7. hugo

hugo Registered User

Dec 24, 2012
    I will have to go and visit that museum! I paid 250$ for mine. Still working and it was properly fixed in 2009 by a local jewller. I oiled it up yesterday with the oil that he left a the bottom of the casing. Looked online and asked around how to properly oil the pivots and it's working like a charm!

Kevin W. likes this.
  8. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice clock Hugo. I have one Forestville and 2 Blackforest mantel clocks. The Forestville might have a Mauthe movement, I'm not sure, unmarked. The museum is worth a visit although it might be closed during the pandemic. I would check with Allan first.

Ron

hugo likes this.
  9. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am thinking Ron most likely a Jauch like mine. Pictures would help us.

hugo likes this.
  10. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is the Forestville movement. Jauch?

Ron

RS Forestville mantel clock (10).jpg

hugo likes this.
  11. hugo

hugo Registered User

Dec 24, 2012
    Thank you for all the responses. I thought I had included a picture of the movement. Here it is...I can't find any numbers anywhere. Only writting I can find is Made in Germany...

Capture d’écran 2020-06-09 à 07.51.14.png

12. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    hugo likes this.
  13. hugo

hugo Registered User

Dec 24, 2012
    Thank you Kevin!

Kevin W. likes this.
  14. hugo

hugo Registered User

Dec 24, 2012
    I was also told it might be a Urgos movement... I am including a picture I found online

Capture d’écran 2020-06-09 à 08.45.09.png