For you Rockford Fans

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Nice bit of Rockford history. Thanks for sharing it. It's likely obvious to watch or tool folks, but I have to wonder what it is called and what it's used for? Some sort of indexing? As always, many thanks for helping educate neophytes.

DeweyC

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2007
Baltimore
www.historictimekeepers.com
Country
Nice bit of Rockford history. Thanks for sharing it. It's likely obvious to watch or tool folks, but I have to wonder what it is called and what it's used for? Some sort of indexing? As always, many thanks for helping educate neophytes.
Pat,

I truly apologize, You are right, to me it is second nature. This is a factory made micrometer and was assigned tracking number of 868 for calibration purposes. The dial rotates so you can zero it with the pointer.

But the attention to finish is the story. The mechanism uses very heavy bridges (like a chronometer) and finely cut pinions and rack. If there is interest I will take it back apart and do pics

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Thank you, Dewey and Darrah!

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
As per a members suggestion I am moving this thread to the
Horological Tools thread

Rob

Reactions: darrahg and PatH

DeweyC

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2007
Baltimore
Country
I'll save you the trouble Dewey. Here is an inside view of mine.
View attachment 721819
OK.This is NOT micrometer that measures metric or imperial. Went to use it and got very strange numbers. Checked with metric imperial feeler gauges and against other mikes. Did Rockford have their own system of units:???:??

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
FRom its jaw shape it looks like it might be a mainspring thickness gauge and may be calibrated in mainspring strengths

DeweyC

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2007
Baltimore
Country
FRom its jaw shape it looks like it might be a mainspring thickness gauge and may be calibrated in mainspring strengths
Nope, not Mainspring gauge. It is a ratio scale (50 IS twos time 25) but I have no idea what the system of measurement. Nothing has been modified or replaced. The racks and pinions are not modified.

Curious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby2
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-